composite installed wrong

Old 03-18-13, 12:30 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
composite installed wrong

My neighbor moved in recently. A former owner had installed composite decking himself, and failed to leave any gaps between the boards. They are pressed right up against each other just as if it was a hardwood floor. Over time, they are buckling, and water cannot get through, some runs into the house during heavy rain.
I volunteered to help him repair the deck. The plan was to remove the screws (square-head, double threads and they do not want to budge). Then we were going to reset the boards with the proper spacing on the sides and at the ends. He got impatient, and started ripping the boards up from the joists. I told him to wait...

Someone else said to take a saw, and run it down the joints, leaving a gap the width of the saw blade. I tried this, and the blade overheated and warped. As it cooled, the blade straightened back out flat. So that is not an option right now.

Another person said to get a "wide-blade" for the saw, and try the same procedure again. Any suggestions on finding a "wide-blade"? Even if the wide-blade did work, it wouldn't help the ends of the boards where they butt-up against the next board. Seems that some would have to be pulled up to shorten the boards by 3/16" or so.

Anyone had this problem and found a solution? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-18-13, 12:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I like the saw between boards idea when real wood is involved but composite tends to be hollow so there's a much lower limit to how much, if any, you can take off the side of a board.

What do you mean by the screws are 'double threads' - I've never heard of such a thing.

Old 03-18-13, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Here ya go Mitch. Double threads. First threads go into the trex, then into the lumber below and keep pulling. The top threads slow down the twisting and set the heads below without mushrooming. I don't think there will be much success in ripping down the edges of the boards. R&R would be my solution. 8 x 2-3/4 Cortex/Trex Deck Screws, Ceramic Coated, Truss Head, Square Drive, Screws, Fasteners - McFeely's

Old 03-18-13, 12:48 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Dang, double threads.

Thanks, Larry.

Old 03-18-13, 01:34 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies.

only about 10% of the screws can be backed out. The square head strips out. Also the screw head has a lot of dust/grit/dirt in it.

I wonder if an E-Z Out would work? Guess I'll give that a try.

Old 03-18-13, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You may be using a #1 square drive. You should be using a #2 square drive in a clean hole.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: