Cover/roof for existing upper level deck - PLEASE help!

Old 03-19-13, 01:06 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cover/roof for existing upper level deck - PLEASE help!

I would like to install an inexpensive, but attractive deck cover/roof for our already existing upper level deck. We live in a high wind area, but in the summer months it is extremely hot, so it would be awesome to have some shade for our deck. The deck is pretty secure and sturdy. I need some feedback and/or ideas from others.
My idea is to attach a sliding fabric cover to the house or eaves of the roof. Think of it like a shower curtain, but horizontal instead of vertical. I would use beams, that would protrude, with a rod-like beam in between them to hold the rings, which would enable the fabric to be slid over during windy weather. I do not know how to attach the beams to the roof or eaves that would keep the wind from ripping them off (gusts can be as high as 60-100 mph). I also need to know if this is even a safe thing to do.
Does anyone else have a different suggestion or idea for a covering for my deck?
Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-13, 01:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
I have shade sails and love them. Here is a link to the thread where I have pictures of my project.

If you want something that is permanently up I think you have a choice to make; cheap or good. If you go cheap plan on the wind destroying whatever roof or sail you erect and you want to make sure that it also does not damage your building. You may also be liable for any injury or damage that your failing structure causes. If you want good I will warn you that in a high wind area going cheap and easy will not cut it. Anything you put up will act like a sail or airplane wing and have tremendous loads placed upon it.

Another option is to use something temporary. A retractable fabric sun shade or several deck umbrellas that can be retracted and secured when not in use.

Old 03-19-13, 01:59 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you! I used the word "sliding" to describe my idea, but what I meant was "retractable". The fabric would be made with evenly spaced rods in it to keep it weighted and easy to slide the rings along the pole to one side or the other when not in use, and secured. So, the only thing sticking out when it is windy here would be the beams and rod. I have thought about sails, and your project came out beautifully, but in my area, they would have to be removed quite frequently, so something that is retractable is ideal for me. I wish there were a way for me to upload a drawing of what my plans are. It would probably help to give you an idea of the size of cover too: 5' x 10'.

Old 03-19-13, 02:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Jessica, scan the drawing and save it as a JPEG file, then post it as a normal picture on the site:http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html