old painted? deck - what to do now?

Old 04-04-13, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old painted? deck - what to do now?

We've been to many home depots and lowes and each time we go we get a new answer, so I figure I'll ask here.

We bought a house last year and we think (and also asked home depot/lowes people as well) that it was badly painted but it was starting to scrape off at certain parts so we want to do something about it.

Anyway, should we-
Apply a solid color stain?
Apply a deck paint?

And before we do it, should we-
Scrub it with a stiff bristled brush
Use some kind of deck cleaner
Power wash?

Do we need to use a primer?

Recommendations for products would be great as well.

Thanks

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-13, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not a fan of painting decks since the paint tends to be and often needs to be removed before re-painting. Hard to tell for sure but I don't think this is paint, it looks like a solid body stain, which is what I would use on it - hides a lot of the grain like paint but not all of it so it hides old wood pretty well and lasts the longest of the deck stains.

Old 04-04-13, 02:59 PM
Is solid body stain the same as solid color stain? We did bring a piece of our deck to both Lowes and home depot and they all said it was paint but I wasn't sure.

So what should I do to prep the deck now? Should I scrub, clean, prime, or anything else before applying the stain? And how many coats should we stain it? Also, do we need to apply anything else on top afterwards?

Old 04-04-13, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Solid body stain and solid color stain are the same. Your deck looks like it had a thin coat of solid stain applied. The folks in paint depts often have minimal experience in the painting field. You'll usually find better advice [coatings too] at your local paint store.

I'd clean the deck with a bleach/water solution with maybe some TSP added. The bleach/water will kill and remove any mildew. TSP is a heavy duty detergent that will aid in cleaning. I mix the bleach and water in a pump up garden sprayer [never, ever stronger than 50%] I'll then wet the deck, spray on the bleach water, let it set, but not dry and then rinse. I normally use a pressure washer but a garden hose will also work. Stubborn areas might need a 2nd cleaning. Often scrubbing with an old broom will help.

Once the deck is dry [usually a few days] it is ready for stain. Make sure you use a deck stain! While deck stains can be used on siding, siding stains aren't suitable for decks. Some deck stains have a specific recoat window so be sure to read the label if you are applying 2 coats. 1 coat is usually sufficient but normally 2 coats are better.

Old 04-30-13, 06:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sure looks like at least some of those boards have seen better days and need to be replaced.
Soild stains should not be used on the deck boards, only on things like the seats and or railing if there was any.
Reason being it shows wear patterns way to soon.
No coating is going to fix all those area where the grains are lifting like that.