Paint/Stain Composite decking

Old 04-12-13, 06:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint/Stain Composite decking

Hello,

We have some composite decking that we do not like the color. I went to talk with a worker at lowes where we purchased the decking and he had done some checking recently on this particular question. He said there Olympic rep was there and said that you could put there Olympic Solid product right over composite material. There was one type of decking currently that it would not work for I believe but there in store composite product (which is what we have) it could be used for without issue. I am wondering if anyone else out there has used this and there experience with it? How long would it last before we would have to do it again? Is it stain or paint?

Here is a link to the product they told me about.
OlympicŪ WOOD PROTECTOR Stain + Sealant in One

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-13, 06:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
I've never stained/painted any composite decking but it should take a solid stain ok. Have you tried contacting the manufacture of your composite decking to see if they have any tips or concerns with coating their product?

Old 04-12-13, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
The problem with staining composite is you'll have to keep re-staining just like you had used wood to build your deck. In other words, you bought a product which didn't require some of the maintenance of wood but you're going to do it anyway. I'd live with the deck as-is for a while first to see if you can get used to the color.

Old 04-12-13, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

I did contact them and they were not aware of any product you could use to stain it however, they were also quick to point out they were not in the painting business and said to check with some local dealers.

Any idea on how long it might last?

Old 04-12-13, 07:54 AM
Group Moderator
There are a lot of factors but a couple years between coats is all I get.

Old 04-12-13, 11:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would guess that a coating on composite would last longer than the same coating on wood but a lot depends on the environment it's in. As with most coatings, the better the quality, the longer it should last.

Old 04-12-13, 12:18 PM
mitch17 do you have a before and after by chance. I would love to see what it looked like prior and what it l;ooks like now.

marksr we live in ND so get a variety of weather here on both extremes. What is your opinion of a good quality stain to apply on composite decking? Is there a certain process one should follow to have it last as long as possible?

Old 04-12-13, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Nope, no pictures at the moment but I also have a wood deck, not composite; not sure if that's what you gleaned from my responses.

Old 04-12-13, 01:15 PM
I did. I misunderstood thinking you had a composite deck. My bad

Old 04-12-13, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
No worries. I would like to have composite and I would not be staining or painting it, having to do that is what I hate most about the deck I have.

Old 04-13-13, 05:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The majority of my painting experience is in the S.E. and what works great in one area doesn't necessarily work as well in another climate. The key components of any paint [stain] job is prep and quality coatings. The prep for a deck is mainly getting it clean [don't forget to rinse well too] and using a quality stain. You'll find the best coatings at your local paint store. They usually have better advice too as they sell to the local paint contractors. It's rarely a good idea to buy coatings at a big box where they tend to stock coatings based on price rather than quality and the help isn't as well trained.