How to frame around stoop

Old 04-13-13, 04:53 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to frame around stoop

in the early planning stages of a 16' x 16' deck off the back of my house.
I'm a newbie so bear with me

currently I have a 3' x 4' stoop off the back sliding door. I did some research and found that I can either beat it out or frame around it. beating it out doesn't appeal to me, so the plan so far is to frame around the stoop with 2 - 2x6s on each side. I can box it in and raise 2x6s slightly so the joists don't rest directly on the concrete.

I would like to float the deck and not have it attached to the house. beams will run horizontal to the back of the house, joists vertical and final decking horizontal. I think I see how it goes together but the stoop throws the first beam off?? to get the decking to fit under the door, the beam height needs to be pretty much the height of the stoop.

would I just attach beams on each side of the stoop??

I attached a very bad drawing of what i am talking about, again i'm in the early stages so can switch direction if needed, they are coming next Tuesday to mark utilities...

any help greatly appreciated!!!

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-13, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! A few items to clear up. "stoop" is concrete or wood? Is this deck going to be on grade or above grade. How high off the ground? I gather you will be cantilevering the last foot or so of the deck to the house according to your drawing.

Old 04-13-13, 05:15 AM
S
hi, thanks! the stoop is concrete, If I understand it correctly the deck is above grade I guess it would have helped to say the concrete stoop is 21 inches tall. deck will be about 35-40 inches off the ground at its highest point. and yes cantilevering 12".

Old 04-13-13, 05:45 AM
As long as you build it completely free standing you will be OK. Don't plan on attaching it to the stoop, either, as the remainder of the deck will break it away during freeze/thaw cycles. Just attack it as a complete unit, banding (with double banding) around the stoop and attach your beams and bands to the post below. Footings must be poured wherever you plan on placing a post and a post base will be required. May be going over ground you already thought of, but had to throw it in.

Old 04-13-13, 06:13 AM
S
cool, didn't think about not attaching it to the stoop! yeah I read about the footings. Im in san antonio and not sure how deep the footers need to go just yet but yes I plan on using them....
whatever code is is what I will do... lots of good videos out there on how to pour them....

i'm sure this is a stupid question, but what do you mean when you say "banding"?

Old 04-13-13, 06:18 AM
The boards you have going around your stoop are called "bands". You will band all around your deck joists' perimeter. This will keep them vertical and keep the deck from falling over on the joists.

Old 04-13-13, 06:20 AM
S
thanks! is it ok if the bands around the stoop touches the concrete of the stoop?

Old 04-13-13, 09:30 AM
S
found one article that talks about using blocks of wood or stand off brackets between your support frame and the concrete, that seems to make sense....

Old 04-13-13, 12:25 PM
Yes, the wood can touch the concrete. Your vertical supports will need to be isolated from the concrete and ground contact. Look through Simpson Strongtie website for the best combination of connectors for your application.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: