Decking over a concrete slab

Old 04-23-13, 12:31 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Decking over a concrete slab

I've been researching what the best way to do this is an need some other opinions/options/thoughts. The patio sits 3 3/4" below the the thresholds of the patio doors. House has a slab on grade foundation and the door thresholds are mounted directly to the house slab. The slab is 10'x10'. The exterior wall from the living room starts about 6" right of the door and goes for 6' then soil (so that corner is concrete only).

Since 3 3/4" vertical space is all that's available to make the deck surface flush with the door sills, horizantal sleepers were the first thing that came to mind. Even though we don't get a lot of rain here (~40"/yr), the next thought was how do I protect the sleepers from getting soaked and rotting out.

I'm stuck with no simple but effective protection other than going with a total plastic sleeper system (Trex,etc.). I'm aware of PT, redwood, cedar, cypress, IPE, etc for sleepers, but the problem is the "protecter" would lie face down on the concrete surface and stay wet for a long time.

Thanks!

--
GT

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-13, 06:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is the slab level? Most likely it slopes away from the house, so any decking you choose to lay on it will need tapered sleepers. I would rip sleepers to accommodate such a slope and reduce in size 1/2". This will allow you to install the sleepers standing on end and use 5/4" decking on top so it will be relatively level with your door threshold. Use PT lumber and allow weep areas on your lower perimeter so water can evacuate itself.

Old 04-24-13, 08:26 AM
G
Thank you! This is my first big project. Just got the permit, starting this weekend.

Yes, the slab is graded .. 3" at the house and 4" at perimeter. I'm going to use 2x4x10 PT pine around the perimeter three in the middle. How far apart should I place the shims throughout the frame? And are sleepers shims a good choice here to keep the wood off the ground and resistant to rot themselves or is there some other suggestions.

Also, is it necessary to anchor it to the concrete? The second part of this project is building the remaining deck around this 3" 10x10 deck. It will step up 6" onto 2x2x6 framing of the remaining deck. Reason for this is the wall around the slab prevents me from simply placing a footing on the other side of the door and building the entire deck at once.

^^this may be confusing, I can attach a rough sketch if necessary.

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-24-13, 03:19 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Please do the sketch, or even better, a picture of the area you are talking about.

Old 04-29-13, 01:16 PM
J
Not a great plan all around.
That wood under the decking boards will rot out from water not being able to drain and no air flow under the deck.
And deck needs to be below any door openings, not even with it. If not water will end up getting in under the treshold.
You would be better off having this slab stained, or remove and replace with landscape stones.

I've seen dozens or these decks over slabs, or porch roofs built and all rotted out and had to be trashed.