Paver Patio with wood edging, help!

Old 04-28-13, 04:18 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Paver Patio with wood edging, help!

About 8 or 9 years ago, we put a patio in the yard. We used pavers and a wood edging (6x6 lumber, PT). My husband pounded spikes into the edging to hold it down, but, slowly over the years (and more quickly the last 2 years), it is rising up.
Why do they rise up like that? Hubby now lives/works out of state, so fixing this is my problem.

Should I *try* to pull up the boards (they are very long, 10-12 ft), dig out underneath, and put them back? Dig under them from the side? We tried using a sledgehammer last year to pound them back down, but it didn't help. The pavers along the edge of the wood have sunk down (those I can repair).

The boards have really risen higher near the house side of the deck, and not so much toward the lawn side. I hate to pull them up if I don't have to, they feel very solid in the ground, I can't even wiggle them.

We anchor our gazebo to the wood, so I need it to be level with the pavers.

thanks, Judy

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-13, 04:20 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Has the wood lifted or the pavers sunk?

Old 04-28-13, 04:27 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
Wood expands and contracts with changes in moisture and freezing & thawing cycles. Vertical pins hold it in place initially but every expansion moves the wood a bit higher and rain & weather washes dirt and debris underneath so the trend is always to move the wood upwards.

As a new install drilling holes at an angle through the edge timbers and using long steel pins can help prevent them being lifted vertically. Since your timbers are already raised and seemingly solid they will have to be removed. The ground underneath cleaned out and timbers re-installed.

Another option is to remove the timbers and install a plastic edging material. It can be driven under the edge of your pavers (hopefully, I've never tried) and nailed in place with plastic nails. Then you would need something to fill the space left by the missing timbers. Not much help if you have a gazebo that rested on the timbers.

Old 04-28-13, 04:30 PM
G
hmm...they might be 4x6 or 8 ...it's raining out so I can't go measure

Old 04-28-13, 04:33 PM
G
both really. But the wood has really risen up alot along that edge. you can see it from the grass side, I can try to get a pic when the rain stops.

Old 04-28-13, 04:36 PM
G
Wow, you guys are fast, lol. Ok, so the gazebo sits on the pavers, then we made custom brackets that screw into the metal base of the gazebo and into the wood. Keeps it in place in very high winds! I watched my neighbors blow over 2 yards!
Anyway, any suggestions on how to get this bugger out? Even though it has risen so much, it is mostly in there pretty darned good. Not sure I have the strength to tackle this, but don't have the money to have it done

Old 04-28-13, 05:36 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Catch 22 - You need the pavers in line with the wood but the pavers have also sunk. How out of level are the pavers? I believe that the freeze/thaw/rain cycles have washed some of the paver sand out and under the 6x6's.

Remove the border row of pavers so that you have access to both sides of the 6x6's. You can then work at scraping some of the material from underneath. As you remove material, you can use a maul or sledge hammer and a large block to re-settle the wood down to where you want to. Hit at the block not the actual timbers to prevent marring the wood. I'm thinking a rope wiggled under the lumber will help clear some sand out.

Borrowing another's idea, I would drive some thin sheet material of some sort down on the inside of the 6x6's to act as a dam to prevent the sand from shifting in the future.

Old 04-29-13, 07:50 PM
G
czizzi, thank you. I need to try this first, since pulling that wood up would be almost impossible for me.

the pavers that are immediately adjacent to the wood have angled down (toward the wood) about 2 inches. I will pull those up first. the middle of the patio is still good and level. the board running along the front edge has risen up a little, but not nearly as much as that side piece has.

so I will try to do that first. I like the idea of putting metal in to keep this from happening again. Question: I knew to use a wood block with the sledgehammer, but should I position the block over the spikes or just anywhere on the edging?

I'll let you know how this goes. Probably won't get to it this week. My list of outdoor chores is crazy (figures, with hubby out of state), and I have to fix my pond's waterfall (it shifted), paint the exterior of the house, and stain the deck this spring. It is an understatement to say I am panicking!

thanks