building a pato paver over a muddy terrain

Old 05-05-13, 07:34 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
building a pato paver over a muddy terrain

In my quest for a nice patio i removed our old cement patio (22ft by 15ft) about a year ago... by hand... with a sledge hammer.

On the plus side, i lost a few pounds and my biceps and back look great.
On the down side it was year ago and the ground today is very muddy after 3 days straight of rain.

I tried leveling the dirt this weekend but that is impossible. the ground of is just to wet. i sink down to my ankles with every step. oh look more rain in the forecast.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-13, 08:58 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Do you have a question?

Old 05-06-13, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I think you know the answer - you need to wait for things to dry up. Digging a temporary ditch might help it dry quicker but the expected rain won't help.

Old 05-07-13, 12:52 PM
N
marksr - your right i should wait. i did dig a small ditch to help the water funnel out faster.

Any know if its a bad idea to mix wet mud with concrete? would that help my problems?

Old 05-07-13, 01:54 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Mud is not going to go well with pavers during the mud season. Your old concrete patio provided a much larger area to prevent any one spot from sinking. I've seen the results of pavers over mud and if you think you have a mess now, stir in a few hundred pavers. If you had a concrete patio you could install pavers over it. Lacking that base, you should excavate at least on foot of that soil (seasonal mud) and replace it with gravel and compact it well. Include a layer of landscape cloth below the gravel to prevent the mud from working its way up through.

As for pouring concrete over the mud, yes but risky, and it still needs to be leveled.

Bud