First time building a patio...need a little help

Old 05-09-13, 05:35 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First time building a patio...need a little help

Just as the title states, I've been looking into building a patio. I have the basics down I just need some help with a few concerns I have before I dive into this.

Right now I have a small concrete slab off my back sliding door that goes into a grassy area. The concrete slab slants away from the slider and the grass section slants towards the slider so all the water collects in the middle and runs along the side of my condo.

I attached the picture to make it easier to visualize. THe plants to the left are butting up to a huge boulder. My plan is to build a little raised plant bed along the boulder. Where I'm standing is the side of the condo. The water runs down the edging that is in the middle there (previous owner did that) and then to the left of the picture down the side of the condo.

My first concern is matching pavers with the concrete color. I don't think I want to cover the concrete so I would want the pavers to be level with the slab. My first thought it bluestone or a greyish stone. That I will need to look more into.

What I'm more worried about is how to set up for proper drainage. Should I level out the grass so the slant continues with the concrete slab? That would make water run along that boulder and then some how get it to run down the side of the condo like it does now.

What's the best way to go about this?

I could build a raise bed starting at the stair and following the boulder to the end which is where I am standing taking the picture. Have the bed tapper off so it is still open to the side of the condo. The water could follow the raised bed and end up going to the left of that picture. I would obviously need to fix the issue of the water then running towards the side of my condo but I can easily do that with the dirt I dig up from this project.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-13, 05:55 PM
H
Figured another picture might be helpful. Don't mind the mess. This picture was taken on that stair you see in the first picture.

Another thing I just thought of when I went out to take this picture is how far am I going to have to dig down and will this effect that stair? What if I need to dig down further than that stair?

Old 05-09-13, 06:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I know you have heard it before, so you're used to it. Tear it all out, re-form it, lay in re=fence and make a fresh slanted pour to take care of all the water. Your paver idea is nice, but it won't handle the water properly, and if it did, it wouldn't match the edge of the existing concrete.

Old 05-09-13, 07:02 PM
H
Which way should the water be draining? Shouldn't it be draining away from the sliding doors and then around the corner down the side and out to the street?

Do you mean if I put pavers against the slab it won't line up properly? Why is that?

I'm not sure tearing out the concrete is in the budget.

Thanks

Old 05-10-13, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You will need to gain a slope with your pavers. Starting at the edge of the concrete will give you a good edge, but how high will the pavers be in order to give you a good slope for drainage? It may be higher than you want to go with the pavers.

Yes, your drainage must be away from the house totally. Even if you have to install a catch basin and pipe it away, keeping the water at bay is of utmost importance.