Deck Finish Not Drying ?

Old 05-13-13, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Finish Not Drying ?

I powerwashed deck cedar deck, water only, looked very clean. Let it dry, then stained with Thompsons Clear sealer that has a cedar tint in it. Now the finish does not seem to want to dry. Has a slightly oily feel, a bit slippery too. Any ideas to resolve or ? Paint store suggested to rub the deck boards down with rags soaked with Soltrol/paint thinner, since they felt it what put on too thick?

Any ideas appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-13, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I think I have to agree with the paint store. Thompsons doesn't so much as dry as "soak in". If the wood was wet...or too much was applied it will tend to stay oily on top.

When I used it back in VA...it would almost instantly soak in to a proper dry board...if it didn't then either the wood needed to dry longer or (if a 2nd or 3rd coat) it had absorbed all it was going to at that time.

Old 05-13-13, 01:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I agree! How much thinner to use is determined by how much excess water seal needs to be removed. Mineral spirits may or may not be cheaper than their recommended thinner and will work just as well.

Old 05-13-13, 09:51 PM
Is your overnight temperature above the reccomended minimum in the instructions?

Old 05-14-13, 04:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good thought but since coatings like Thompson's WaterSeal are more for absorption than a coating to lay on the surface, the overnight temp doesn't play much of a part. If I remember correctly it says on the label that you aren't to apply more TWS than can be absorbed within a certain time period [1hr?]

Old 05-14-13, 06:41 AM
thanks.........

thanks for the replies...guess I'll give it afew more warm days and few rains, then get out the soltrol and rags and wipe it down.

Old 05-14-13, 10:21 AM
It's the tint that has me wondering exactly which Thompson's product was used?
Their "Thompson's WaterSeal Waterproofer Plus Tinted Wood Protector" states in the instructions:
Be sure that both surface and air temperature are above 50 F during application and for 48 hours after application. Do not apply product if rain is forecasted within 24 hours of application.
Years ago I hurried to coat my cedar deck before I went away hunting for the weekend. The temperature dropped to near 40 that night and I came home to a sticky mess and had to strip and start over. Now I'm a bit overcautious about the weather forecast.

The instructions also say
If surface is damp or wet from cleaning or weather, allow the surface to dry thoroughly (a minimum of 48 hours) before application.

Old 05-14-13, 02:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cool and/or damp conditions will usually slow down the drying time of many coatings but when the weather warms up/dries - normally the drying/curing starts back. Failure to dry is usually indicative of over application or a contaminant on the substrate. Occasionally it can be traced back to product failure/defect.

Normally the better the prep, working conditions and drying time coupled with following the manufacture's instructions - the better the result