Privacy wall/wind block

Old 05-15-13, 07:33 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Privacy wall/wind block

Hello,

I have an existing deck that is only a year old that we would like to put a privacy wall up/wind block on the west side of the patio. I was thinking it would be about 6 feet tall or so and possibly made of cedar are my initial thoughts.

The current deck is about 12x12 and about 32 inches off the ground or so and I would only have this on west side. I live in ND and I is really windy in our area. Do I need to dig and pour footings for this or can I attach it to the existing structure and lag bolt it to the existing structure? Being 12 feet, how many posts 6 feet in the air do I need to have?

Any tips in building one of these?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-13, 06:03 AM
O
bump.

Anyone out there have some success or not in building one of these.

Old 05-17-13, 06:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 627 Posts
I would install the fence posts independent of your deck since the top of your fence will be almost 9' above grade. That height will give the wind a lot of leverage. I don't think you need footers but I would bury the fence posts as deeply as possible in the ground. I think 4x4's would be the minimum and I would even consider 4x6 or 6x6 posts for added strength because of the height. If your fence is a more open design to let some wind pass through I think you can consider 4x4's though they may have a tendency to warp. With a more solid fence I would be thinking of using 4x6 or 6x6's instead.

Common advice is to bury 1/3 of the post in the ground which for a 12' long post would be 4' in the ground and leave you 8' above. In reality I rarely see anyone go to the full 1/3 depth except for short fences. Most post hole diggers will only get you down about 24" and a standard powered auger might get you down to about 3' which would leave your needed 9' above grade with 12' posts.

Old 05-17-13, 07:27 AM
O
Thanks a lot for the reply.

What about lag bolting it to the joists?

I am wondering if I need to put it into the ground the 48 if I put it in the ground at all due to the frost here in ND

Old 05-17-13, 08:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 627 Posts
I'm not so much concerned about how to attach to the joists. That's easy to do with through or lag bolts. It's preventing the wind from twisting the joist. The top of the joist is held in place by your deck boards but the bottom is probably free to move for most of it's length.

The deeper post depth would help with frost. One thing I don't know about it burying the posts and bolting them to your deck joist. That would certainly firm up the posts but if they did try to heave in the winter I don't know if they would lift the deck or if the deck would be enough to hold them down.