Beam and Joist span??

Old 05-17-13, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beam and Joist span??

I want to install a deck just below the door sill which is approx. 6" above ground level. The decking book recommends beam span of 4' for 4X6 beams and 24" joist spacing using 2X4's. I am considering placing sonic tubes every 4', both length and width; filling them w/ concrete 2" above ground level then insert 4X4 strong tie brackets in each. I will run 4X4 pressure treated beams lengthwise then take 2X4 pressure treated joist and place them between the beams and since I am using 4X4's rather than the recommended 4X6 beams thought I could compensate for the smaller beams by spacing the joist every 16" rather than the recommended 24". I have some basic construction skills and would appreciate any comments or suggestion concerning my plan. The deck will be approx. 30' by 20' and to ensure the footings are level other than using my 8' level are there any additional leveling tools I should purchase???

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-13, 06:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not a great plan, your joist would be way under sized and 2 X 4;s are not direct ground contact rated.
Also a deck needs air flow under it or it will never dry out and will rot.
Why not a patio instead out of concrete or patio blocks?

Old 05-18-13, 06:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I agree with Joe. I doubt you will get but a few years' use of a deck that low to the ground, and built with too small, and non ground contact lumber. A poured patio will serve you much better and will probably come in lower in price than your proposed deck, counting labor and materials. You could even have the patio stamped and stained for a more elegant look.

Old 05-18-13, 08:02 AM
I do appreciate the input, imagine a patio would be most cost effective considering the price of 2x6 redwood decking, and definitely would hold up longer. One of the reasons I did not place the patio at the top of my list is because the adjoining front section is approx. 20x15 brick I thought it may be a bit much if the entire front area is patio. It has given food for thought that perhaps it would not be so bad if I install a small lawn between the 2 sections of patio; although, between gophers and raccoons lawns are a major pain in the backside.

Having said that, brain storming with very little to work with, perhaps another option would be to build the patio coming off the entrance and then have it step up onto the decking; by moving a few yards of dirt I would be able to use 4x6 beams and 2x6 joist however, it would still only put the deck about a foot off the gound???? Any thoughts, or suggest??? Again, thank you for the input.

Old 05-19-13, 02:48 PM
Decided to take advice and eliminate the deck as an option. If I can come up with a pattern that would blend with the existing walkway I would prefer the brick, fairly certain it's a 'do it myself' project. The area is approx. 400 plus sq. ft. with 300 on hand figure it will take another 1500 bricks to fill the area. On the other hand, pouring a 400 sq. ft. patio may be more labor intensive and beyond my level of experience. Have access to mixer and have poured relatively small slabs before. Probly have a contractor quote the job but unlikely in my price range. If the project can be broken into sections where I could pour a section, use a stamp for slate effect and then pick it up the next day then I should be able to do it myself with a couple of helpers. Decided to plant a lawn on backside of ladder that adjoins another brick patio.

Area in question is forward of the ladder in the pic: Any suggestions appreciated!!

Attached Images