Pergola attached to exsisting deck help

Old 05-18-13, 07:47 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pergola attached to exsisting deck help

Hey guys new to the site and don't have much experience in the way of pergola building. My wife and I want to add a pergola on to our 20x10 existing deck. My choice would to install a 20 feet of ledger board above my sliding doors and go from there but it does appear that I have enough room above to attach the board without some serious alterations which I'm not sure I'm capable of doing. As it stand I only 5-6 inches of space above the window and have a 2ft over hang from the roof. I'm going to attach a picture of the area to better depict but I was hoping someone with a lot more experience could shed some light on my options. I'm hoping not to spend a great deal of money on this project but also want it to look nice.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-13, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Looks like enough room for a 2x6 ledger to me. Remove the top row of vinyl siding and j-channel up there first, install the ledger, then reinstall the j-channel below the ledger and cut the siding down as needed to fit and reinstall it.

Old 05-18-13, 08:44 AM
R
thanks for the quick response.... if I can fit the 2x6 will that provide enough support, its a 20ft span. I was hopping to use 2 6x6 support post on the other side, should I cement them in the ground or attached them to the deck. Thanks again

Old 05-18-13, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
The 2x6 ledger will be 20' long, but it will be attached to the house, right? The "span" of your pergola is 10 ft, as I understand it.... over your 20x10 deck?

I can't completely see the deck construction, how far it is in the ground, etc. And don't know the design of how your 6x6's will be braced to the front beam and side joists to prevent lateral movement. But it's possible that a post base anchor could be used in conjunction with attachment to the deck framing. It's likely that you might need a couple of new concrete posts (sonotubes) in the precise location needed so that your 6x6 post anchors can sit on a solid foundation. If they extend down through the deck rather than outside the deck, adding blocking between the deck joists to sandwich the 6x6 will help plumb it up as well as prevent it from moving around.

Old 05-18-13, 02:10 PM
R
that is correct it will be attached to the house.. and you are correct it will span 10ft. I attached a better pic of my deck, the existing 4x4 post don't do much from what I see but I could be out to lunch...thanks again or the help

Old 05-18-13, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry, the pic never made it.