Water leaking under front door threshold

Old 05-21-13, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water leaking under front door threshold

Help! We have had a continual problem with water leaking under our front door threshold (where the wood threshold meets the brick and mortar of the porch).

It seeps under the threshold and into our wall space where the insulation is. We have gone so far as to replace the entire door frame! The last contractor put alot of caulk under there, but is that the correct way to keep out moisture?

What is the best practice for keeping water from seeping under the threshold frame?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-13, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
It is SOP to caulk under the sill but there may be more that needs to be done. A pic or two might help us better evaluate what you have going on - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-21-13, 12:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You will need a pan under the door that is flashed in such a way that any water coming in from above sheets to the outside and any water from the outside is directed down toward the foundation.

If you watch this video, you will see a pan installed in the door opening.

Bottom Sill Flashing - Slab to Bottom plate connection - YouTube

Old 05-21-13, 02:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Really need that picture.
One of the many reasons it's code that door openings need to be at least 6" above any soild surface.
Jamsill Guard Door & Window Sill Pan Flashing

Old 05-21-13, 06:52 PM
I am having problems loading a picture. I might not have explained the problem correctly...water is coming into house (wall space void) from porch at the point where porch and house meet. Door opening is 6" above surface. I guess threshold is the actual part you walk through. I mean the part where the brick porch actually meets the wood that lies under the door.

Old 05-21-13, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Sorry, still not very clear. If by porch, you mean steps or stoop, then I am guessing you have rotten wood behind the steps, such as when someone pours concrete right up against the house with no flashing.

If that's the case, we probably need pictures to see what you see. Click the "insert image" icon when you make your reply... it is the picture framed tree.

Old 05-21-13, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Use the "Go advanced" box not "post quick reply"

No flashing and/or the porch deck is pitched towards the house.

Old 05-22-13, 05:48 PM
These are two pictures of the door opening. You can see the yellow insulation, which was wet before it was replaced.

Name:  443.jpg
Views: 38104
Size:  36.2 KBName:  446.jpg
Views: 49754
Size:  47.7 KB

Old 05-22-13, 05:51 PM
The pictures I uploaded show that there is a thick bead of clear caulk at intersection of brick porch and house. This is the area that I believe is still leaking.

Old 05-22-13, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
That would suggest that the brick porch is incorrectly pitched. When it rains....does the water run towards the house ?

Old 05-23-13, 01:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I do not think that the water is coming from below the threshold. For the insulation to get wet from you described clear caulk, water would have to travel uphill. I think that a combination of Z flashing above the door and a good pan beneath the door will correct the problem. Judging from the amount of caulk on the siding, there probably was not any flashing installed above the door. I also note what could be staining on the jack stud on the left of the door as well as discoloration on the right side.