Restoring my Cedar Deck

Old 05-26-13, 09:19 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Restoring my Cedar Deck

I'm looking to redo my cedar deck. It's looking a bit weathered. I have bought the stain.. I also bought stripper, cleaner, and brightener.

I'm not sure how I need to do this tho. I have never done this before.
I dont want to mess this up because I love my deck and really dont want to wreck it. Do I use the stripper first, then cleaner, then brighter then sand lightly, then stain? Or is its supposed to be a different order?

I dont want to use a pressure washer, alot of people have said it can be VERY bad for the wood, so a garden hose will be good enough?

My idea was to strip the floor of the deck only because the finish is wore off unevenly and it would not look right if I just restained over top.

I was then going to leave the sides alone, just rinse off the dust or whatever, then when its dry just stain it since there is no ware. Is that ok to do it that way?
My only concern is how do I rinse off the stripper on the floor of the deck without getting it on the fence. Plastic sheet going to be good enough to cover it off? Or better off just stripping the whole deck?

Here are more pics:
ImageShack(TM) slideshow

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-13, 05:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
What type of stain do you intend to use?

It will be difficult to use the stripper and not effect the fence. You'd have to have some type of shield to protect it - maybe some sheet metal at the bottom and plastic above it. If you are using a semi-transparent stain you can probably get by without using the stripper. Does water bead up on any of the existing deck stain?

While a pressure washer can be a good tool for cleaning decks it isn't imperative and can cause damage if used too aggressively. A garden hose works fine but might require extra scrubbing prior to rinsing, an old broom works great for scrubbing.

My SOP for cleaning decks is to wet it down, apply a bleach/water solution with a pump up garden sprayer, let set but not dry and rinse with a PWer. As noted, a garden hose can be substituted for the PWer. Using a bleach/water solution is just as effective as the commercially prepared cleaners [but cheaper] and often negates the need for a brightener.

Are you sure the decking is cedar? it looks like PT pine to me.

Old 05-27-13, 12:44 PM
T
Yup it's definately Cedar.
I'm using transparent stain. I got the same stain that was used the first time it was built. The previous owner had a can left over thats how I knew what one to get.

The deck is 4-5yrs old and I dont know if it has ever been refinished before. I think your supposed to do it every 2yrs. The colour is from all the traffic wear on the deck floor. Water does not bead up anywhere on the deck.

This is what I bought: GAL Heart REDWD Stain - Amazon.com

If I strip the fence too then I would most likely have to strip the other side too. Im sure it would get through the cracks. Wow thats going to be a lot of work.

So say I can block it somehow and no stripper gets on the fence.. Is that ok to just stain over the existing stain. Thats more what I was unsure about. I might try to block it off, and if it doesnt work then I just have to strip the whole thing. I also have to figure out a way to block the hot tub off too.

Or maybe since there is little to no stain left on the deck floor, instead of stripping it I can just do a light sanding to even it out?

On a side note, think I can stain the side of the hot tub with the same stain? It would be nice if I could match it and make it blend right in.

Old 05-27-13, 02:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Transparent stains don't hide a lot so the better the deck looks prior to applying the stain the better the finished job will look. The most important thing is consistency. You don't want to some parts of the deck being lighter/darker than other parts.

Since the deck doesn't bead water you probably don't need to use the stripper. I'd clean the deck and see what it looks like, it might clean up good enough to use the toner stain. Before I went thru a lot of extra effort to get it right for a toner, I'd switch to a semi-transparent stain = less work Make sure you use a deck stain and not a siding stain. Deck stains can be used on siding but siding stains won't hold up long term on decks. Your deck stain should be fine for the sides of the hot tub.

A light sanding is a doable option but IMO too much work. If you do sand, try and make sure all the nails/screws are sunk slightly below the surface.

Old 05-27-13, 06:11 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
My deck is 12' x 10' and I hate maintaining it. I think I would burn yours down....

Good luck - it will be a lot of work but do it right and it will look good when you're done.

Old 05-27-13, 07:00 PM
T
Thanks for all the info.

This is the cleaner I bought: Sico Cleaner and Conditioner for wood.
https://www.rona.ca/en/cleaner-and-conditonner-for-wood

So if I use that, it might turn out good enough to stain. If it doesnt, and I do need to strip it, I need to use the cleaner again afterwards, correct? I think one of the jobs of the cleaner is that it neutralizes the stripper? or maybe Im thinking of something else.

I noticed a couple of the fence boards the screw they put in from the outside of the deck missed the wood. So you can actually see the screw sticking toward the inside of the deck. If I fix it this would be the perfect time to. If I drill it in better there will be a hole where it went through. This might sound dumb, but would I just use wood filler, then stain over it to hide it? or will it not look right and I should just leave it. No one has noticed it before so its not a big deal but if its a really simple fix I might as well..also then there wouldnt be any chance my son would catch his finger on it.

Sanding the deck would you recommend 100 grit sand paper, or should I go higher. 200 maybe? I dont think I will have to do alot of sanding but in one of the pics you can see a long mark in the deck from a patio set or something. Would I be crazy to use a drywall pole/sandpaper setup, or should I use a belt sander? I'm not that worried about the hard labor I just want it to look good.

EDIT: Hmm I been trying to read alot on tips and tricks and this is one thing I just read:
52. Never sand the wood too smooth! This could cause the stain to not absorb into the wood and prematurely fail! 60 grit sandpaper is best.
Yet other people have mentioned to me to use only a really fine grit.

EDIT:
Sorry one last question I just thought of,

Staining the deck, I was planning on brushing it on, like a paint job. Then I saw in most videos people were spraying it on. Which way would be better? I dont own a sprayer but I could buy one. Unless it will give a better look with a brush anyways.

Last edited by ThaDraGun; 05-27-13 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-28-13, 04:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd be inclined to leave the screw hole, I doubt anyone will notice and it shouldn't hurt anything. It's likely that a patch would show - stain doesn't cover repairs as nicely as paint does. If I did anything it would probably be to fill the hole with a clear latex caulk.

I'm not sure if I've ever used that particular cleaner but it should do fine. Some strippers need to be neutralized but not all of them - reading the label lets you know

100 grit sandpaper should work fine. Anything more aggressive will leave scratches in the wood that will need to be sanded out. Anything finer than 120 grit will sand too slow. Also the finer the sanding, the harder it is for the wood to absorb the stain. A pole sander or orbiter sander is best. I rarely sand decking but when I do, I usually use a pole sander. A belt sander is too aggressive and can get you in trouble in a heartbeat

I'm not that worried about the hard labor
You must be a lot younger than me

edit; forgot about the spraying
Spraying isn't always better and even when you do spray, the sprayed on coating needs to be back rolled/brushed to work the coating into the wood. Otherwise the coating just lays on top, doesn't penetrate as well = shorter life. Spraying can speed up the application process but care must be used to prevent overspray from getting where it shouldn't. I'm referring to spraying with an airless. There are those that will spray stain with a pump up garden sprayer, that only works with ultra thin stains that generally don't offer enough protection to be a consideration anyway.

Last edited by marksr; 05-28-13 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-28-13, 08:49 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
100 grit sandpaper is about as fine as you want to go on a deck, IMO.