installing concrete stoop

Old 05-27-13, 12:55 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing concrete stoop

We have a pressure treated wooden stoop with steps made with Ultradeck material. We changed our mind and would like to install a concrete stoop instead. This is for our sliding patio door for our backyard patio.

Do we simply slide the concrete steps up to our home or is there anything else that is needed?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-13, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If the height of the precast steps is correct, all you have to do is slide them in place and shim them so they don't wobble. I would seriously consider painting the wood directly under the threshold of the door, however.

Old 05-27-13, 08:28 AM
D

Here's an older pic of how then original stoop looked. When I buy a concrete stoop should I keep it the original length or extend it? The siding is still there behind the new step,but my worry is that the original stoop was constructed with a beam as part of the house. There is also some clumped up old cement from when the deck was built located underneath the step.

Old 05-27-13, 08:31 AM
D

Here is how it looked underneath before the new step went in. When I add a concrete stoop will this be an issue?

Old 05-27-13, 11:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The new precast steps will be hollow, but the clumps may be an issue. I'd still chisel them out when the old step is removed. I like wider steps, but your siding versus the band board make it unappealing to the eye to have wider ones. That would be your call.

Old 05-27-13, 05:33 PM
D
I agree. I like the size of the original smaller step. Where would be my best bet to find a precast step?
I may not have to chisel the clumps of concrete as long as I can find a precast step that has no bottom base. Will that be hard to find?

Old 05-27-13, 08:35 PM
D
What about going with a wooden stoop. A concrete one may be too expensive?

Old 05-27-13, 09:21 PM
Do you want to replace two steps with a couple of more with a temporary wood inaccessible "stoop" when you might be able two build a real entry/access platform with one step when arranging the furniture differently on a small patio may be better to do.

Just a thought unless you have already decided what you want.

Dick

Old 05-27-13, 09:27 PM
D
I am definitely set on a 40' stoop which is how it used to be with old my white one, just better quality. What about building a stoop with pavers?

Here is how the code looks iny area.
The maximum rise of a step should be no more than 7 3/4" per code. Minimum run (depth of tread) no less than 10" and requires a minimum 3/4" overhang at the front.

Old 05-28-13, 05:09 PM
D

Keep the piece of wood for flashing? There's flashing behind there still.

Old 05-30-13, 02:17 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You'd have a much safer (and far more convenient) situation if you construct a wider landing area at just below threshold level, allowing users a place to step out and onto before having to negotiate steps. Enlarge the patio, if necessary, to make it work. And a cover over it will keep all that nasty white stuff away, too.

Don't believe me? Just wait until you get old and feeble! Or some of your guests have had a few too many beers and brats as they wobble onto or off of the patio.

Old 05-30-13, 05:33 AM
D
I can't my patio slab is only 16x16. No room to expand it.

Old 05-30-13, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The photo in Post No. 3 shows tons of room to expand the patio. Just a matter of relocating the current shredded bark/pilaster borders.