knot dents and holes in pt deck

Old 05-27-13, 07:44 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post knot dents and holes in pt deck

I just put in a new pt deck, and I must say it has plenty of knots. Some of these have dents and cracks and dimples. Do I fill these before staining and sealing the deck boards? If so, with what? If not, then how do I keep water from settling into the cracks, etc?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-13, 04:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums Marty!

There isn't a whole lot you can do about the dents, cracks and knots. Any repairs will show up thru most deck stains other than a solid stain. With a solid stain I'd consider smearing caulking into the crack/knot and removing all the excess caulking. Repairs to dents are almost guaranteed to fail.

For the most part the PT process and the stain will protect the wood, including the cracks and knots.

Old 05-28-13, 06:40 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Decking boards should have been hand picked so you only installed the ones with no cracks or limited number of knot holes.
It's not unhead of to have to pick through 1/2 a pile of new lumber to find the best ones.
No way would I use caulking to fill gaps or knots or a soild stain on deck boards.
The soilds fine for the railings, but would soon wear off and may peel on the decking.

Old 05-28-13, 08:42 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
We have a running conflict going here - Mark and I think solid body stains are going to give you the longest life on a deck while Joe thinks they're the worst for this. Sorry, that doesn't end up helping you much.

Old 05-28-13, 09:24 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm on a bunch of other DIY sites. One of the most common complants about decks is all the soild stains peeling off and now that have to sand the whole thing to redo it.
Even my local Sherwin WIlliams even suggest not to use it.
Works fine on the railing because there not beng walked on.

Old 05-29-13, 04:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I've been staining decks on and off for 40+ yrs and while I've seen cheap solid stains peel/wear prematurely, I've never had any issues when a quality stain along with the proper prep is used. The wear can be more noticeable with an opaque stain than it is with a more transparent stain. I prefer the look of translucent and semi-transparent stains but a solid stain is often a better choice on an older deck [near the end of it's usable life] ..... but some customers prefer the look of solid stain.

Just to be clear, when using caulking on cracks/knots - you just want to put the caulk in the crack itself and wipe off [remove] any caulk from the surrounding wood. It isn't an ideal fix but it's cheap, easy and isn't prone to failure.