Fill Under a Deck

Old 06-01-13, 11:13 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fill Under a Deck

Hello, I am planning to put in a low, floating deck. There is currently a patio where the deck will be. The patio has been in place for many years and has settled with portions of it sloping toward the house. I am planning on removing the stones and I was wondering what I should use as fill. Once the stones are up, I'll have about a hole about 2 inches deep. I want to fill the hole and grade it away from the house. Is crushed stone or stone dust suitable? Some sort of sand? Or should I just use dirt? I think a non-dirt product would discourage insects. I live in Canada (Eastern Ontario). Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-13, 07:47 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
#1 No 2X's are rated for direct ground contact.
#2 Wooden decks need air flow on all sides or there going to rot out.
Any deck needs to be at least 4" below any door opening. In your area code may call for more because of the snow.

Old 06-02-13, 04:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Addressing what to do prior to deck, yes you will need to grade the dirt away from the house first. You can, then, lay in a gravel base to level it out. The grade of the dirt will help with the water, and the gravel will filter the water and not let it become a mud pit. From there you can clear away the stone for your footers and build the deck at a height below your threshold that will allow for snow build up. We don't have that problem in the South, but apparently up north decks are built much lower to the entrance than we do, which makes sense.