Stabilizing 2nd Story Deck

Old 06-03-13, 08:55 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stabilizing 2nd Story Deck

New to the forums, so apologies for barging and and starting with questions (although i did read some of the other posts similar to my problem).

I'm redoing the deck off my main floor because it had started to rot out (long story, but short answer is the previous owner did an "improvement" to the original deck that trapped water and debris between the Trex and the subfloor decking).

You'll notice in the pic below a line of exposed wood - that's subfloor that comes from inside the house. This subfloor was the original decking material (1 1/8" thick) I had a friend who's a contractor help me with the deconstruction, and we made the decision to cut the sub flooring because the surface was bad and there wasn't any way to save it.

However, since that subfloor was attached to the house, it provided all the lateral stabilization. So, now I'm at this point, and want to know the best way to ensure some drunk dude doesn't take my whole deck down by starting a limbo contest up there.

Name:  977267_10151634803886178_490233266_o.jpg
Views: 5355
Size:  48.0 KB

The 4 x 4 posts are not set in concrete. And the beams are hung on the house using brackets. There is a ledger board just below those beams that is attached to the house (the grey board below the doors), but nothing's really attached to it

The plan is to attach 2 x 10" joists across the beams with ribbon boards on the ends. Then lay the decking on top of that. The fear is of course that there isn't anything preventing "left to right" movement.

So, what should be done? Cross bracing top to bottom on those posts? Should I redo the posts, and sink them in the ground? Should I turn it into a pergola and replace the main story door with a window? Do I lose those beams, and hang joists off the ledger board? Pretty much anything is on the table (aside from opening the house and cantilevering the beams )

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-13, 10:10 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
#1 4 X 4's should be used, going to need 6 X 6's.
#2 There needs to be footings and post bases to hold the 6 X 6's up off the piers.
Going to need diaganals to keep it from swaying.
The ledger needs to removed, water proof the wall, and spaces used to hold the ledger out away from the house. I often times us 1 X 6 vinyl lumber cut to the width of the ledger as spacers.
The decking should never be installed tight to the side of the house.
The top surface of the decking needs to be at least 4" below any door openings.
The support beams get let into the sides of the 6 X 6 not just bolted to the outside of them.
second story deck framing - Bing Images
Your going to need a permit for this.