add step to deck

Old 05-30-13, 11:18 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
add step to deck

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...eck%20step.jpg

I want to add a step to the deck above on the side facing the camera. Since the picture was taken the railing has been moved over so you can just step down from the other deck area on to the smaller one. The PO had a hot tub and this little deck was added on.

The height from the deck to the ground is about 16 inches, so I just want to add one step, across most of the width of the deck, maybe 16 inches or so deep. But I'm not sure how to do it. I know it will need footings of some sort, and since it will be just one step there won't be traditional risers. So I'm not sure how to tie it to the deck itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-30-13, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You would definitely need a poured footing the size of your step unit. Risers are normally about 7 1/2" tall, so you may be pushing the envelope having yours at 8", but I feel having an unequal set of risers would contribute to more of a problem than the additional rise. I, too, would make it more of a landing than a step. You really won't "tie" it to the deck, unless you want to brace it on the back side with brackets of sorts. I think having the footing poured and the box step sitting directly on that, it would be stable, especially that large.

Others will chime in with their references, so hang in there for more information.

Good reading: http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf

Old 06-04-13, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Looks like it's just me and you chandler!

When I think about it, I'll essentially be just building a long narrow box. Maybe the simplest way is to put in a few short posts in the front corners and the middle, and then lag bolt the back of the box to the existing deck before I put the steps boards on. I'd rather dig a few holes than one big one for a small pad.

Old 06-04-13, 05:31 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Chandler's "good reading" link is outdated--there's a newer version available, which has different (more restrictive) allowable span values and a few other changes, with a June 2013 publication date. Czizzi shared a link to it on Bob Lawblaw's post on replacing an old deck, just a few days ago.

Old 06-04-13, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I thought I copied and superceded the one Z put up in my bookmarks. Must not have taken. I still don't think the steps Croc is wanting to build will be zapped under the new "more restrictive" span tables.

Croc, here's the new tables. http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Last edited by chandler; 06-04-13 at 05:59 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: