Deck over screen porch

Old 02-11-01, 11:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am in the process of adding a screen porch, with a deck above. I would like to make the screen porch waterproof and use bead board for the ceiling. I have used the corrugated plastic for drainage between the deck and the screen porch and placed it on an incline. After a fairly lengthy rain two nights ago there were some leaks (nothing major, but will ruin bead board) at the seams where corrugated overlaps and some water standing in the middle next to seams.

My question is simply is there another method that I should look at? I am still in the construction phase and could change directions if necessary. Or am I on the right track and just need to silicone the devil out of the seams?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-01, 09:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You seem to be on the right track, but instead of using corragated plastic, I would have used a metal roofing (corragated, V-lock, etc.) And, rather than using silicon to seal the joints, use Vulkem 116. Find that where you find the tubes of silicon caulking. Costs a little more, but it won't seperate from the roofing material like silicon will.

Old 02-12-01, 03:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I did a similar thing, and used corrugated aluminum roofing so that it wouldn't rust. Sealing the overlaps is a very good idea.
Good Luck!

Old 02-19-01, 09:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Try another way. Waterproof the deck surface with vinyl deck membrane. Check http://www.duradek.com.