Need help with framing to roof

Old 06-04-13, 06:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with framing to roof

I am building off the side of my garage, and putting a screened porch alongside. I am putting a shed roof coming off the side of the garage, coming out 12', putting cement blocks, 4 high, with 2"cement caps as a knee wall, with an opening for doors at both ends.
From that point up to my roof beam, that will carry my 2x6 rafters, I was thinking about using 4x6's from the top of my block wall, to my roof beam. Considering my long wall is 18', I'm thinking one at each end, and another at 9'
1. What is the best way to fasten it to the block wall?
Afterwards, I'm going to install aluminium 2x2 frames and screens from Home Depot.
2. At both ends of the 18' wall, on a 90" angle it returns to the garage. In that corner is where I want to put my door, on each side, one on the left side, and one on the right side.. I figure a 40" RO in the block, for a 36" screen door. My question is on the end of the 18' wall do I use a double 2x10 and rip it to 8" so it matches up with the thickness of the block wall and also have framing for my door way?
Thanks in advance for your help
Joe

Old 06-04-13, 06:25 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Got a drawing and a picture of the garage now?
If this is going to be just a screen room how's the water going to drain out if you have a block knee walls?
Almost always it's best to start the roof up on top of the garage roof so you can have more slope and the side walls can be a full 8' tall.

Old 06-04-13, 09:18 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
You will also need to meet code requirements for securing the new roof to the ground or other. Not my region, but basically they won't want it to show up in someone else's back yard, or worse. We even have anchor requirements without hurricanes. That may also affect how you fasten the new structure to the garage.

Bud

Old 06-04-13, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The height is 8'-8" to the bottom of the truss on the outside of my garage. If I use a 3/12 pitch, for the shed roof and come about 12', I only lose about 3", which makes it almost 8'-0 to the bottom of the 2x6 rafter on the low side.
I thought about the water collecting. I was thinking about putting in some some weep holes on the bottom of the block along the 18' wall. There is a slab there now, and once I place the block, I could drill on a slight downward angle to the outside of the knee wall. Wouldn't that work?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: