Prep and Finish questions

Old 06-08-13, 09:13 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Prep and Finish questions

I live up in the Rockies at about 8,500'. We bought this place about a year ago and it was constructed with a front porch and then later, a small deck was added to it. The deck portion I believe has a stain on it but, the porch I'm not sure of.
The porch seems to have 3 different finishes applied to it. The middle one is a Behr stain as I found an old can for it and can tell by the color. The last one is likely what ever they used on the rest of the house, as the color matches. I've included a couple of pictures so you can see some of the bad areas. As you can see, there's some chipping and peeling going on.
In terms of prepping, I spoke to reps at the local hardware store and SWP store. They suggested using a stripper first and then maybe sanding to smooth it out, not necessarily to take it all down to the wood. I had read in some other forums that some suggested sanding it all down, while others not so, much. Any thoughts on the best way to approach it?
Regarding finish, without going down the hill, I have access to Cabot's, SWOP and SuperDeck Elastomeric Deck & Dock. Anyone care to share their thoughts on these? Our climate is harsh with high UV. I plan on a solid whatever I use. I come from the land of stucco and wood siding with latex paint so, I know zip about stain. Thx!!

Attached Images   
Old 06-08-13, 09:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 857 Upvotes on 749 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'd clean the deck first and see what shape it's in. Normally you don't need to do much [if any] sanding prior to applying a solid stain. Clean/scrape what you have and post another pic or two - that will give a better idea as to what else needs to be done before applying the stain.

The top layer looks like it might be paint, deck strippers aren't very effective on paint.

Old 06-13-13, 12:34 PM
G
Test Results

Ok, it's taken a few days because we've had high winds, temps and fires in the area but, I finally got to test a couple of areas. On the porch section, I think it is at least one layer of paint, maybe more. I see 3 different colors, the brownish top coat, a dark redish brown and then another dark one. This section is around 10 years old. The second picture is from the deck section that someone added later, probably 2-5 years ago. I used SuperDeck stripper after doing some scraping, kept it moist and did some scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush. So, two questions:
do you have suggestions to prep these two sections (i.e., scrape, strip and sand porch/strip & brighten deck w/ spot sanding where needed).

My second question is related to which finishes to consider. I'm in the Rocky Mountains at about 8,500'. Summer temps range night time lows in the 40s and day time highs up to low 90s. During winter, it can get below 0 but, it's usually in the teens to low 40s. We gwet a lot of snow one day all melted over the next 2. About 1/4 of the deck gets sun all day and UV is really strong here (tough on people, let alone decks). What is available here is TWP 100, SuperDeck Elastomeric Deck & Dock, SWP Deckscapes & Cabot's. Any suggestions? Anyone have any experience with SuperDeck Elastomeric D&D?

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 06-13-13, 02:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no need to use a wood brightner if you use a solid stain. While it's usually best to remove all of the previous coatings and start fresh, you got to draw the line somewhere - it's up to you how involved you want to get removing the paint that is still adhered ok.

The brands mentioned are all decent but most of my painting experience is in the southeast. Locals [painters, friends, paint store reps] can better advise you want works best in your climate. While I've used a good bit of elastomeric masonry paint and some elastomeric roof coatings, I've never used any that was rated for wood decks.

Old 06-14-13, 09:11 PM
G
Well, I guess I want to try to do it right. The section that is painted is only about 8x6, with a two tread stair. What about using something like ready strip pro, a paint stripper on this section? Then again, maybe I just need to suck it up, get the sander and a boat load of 60 grit discs

I've heard that if you want to really have TWP 100 work and look well that the the old finishes need to be thoroughly removed. So, I guess I need to do what ever is necessary to not have a mess within another year or so.

Thanks, again. I really appreciate your suggestions.

Old 06-15-13, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've heard of them, I've never used any TWP products as they aren't available locally. Translucent and semi-transparent stains can't be applied over paint so if that's the type of coating you want to use - 99% of the paint needs to be removed. IMO a chemical stripper is a better option than sanding. A brightner might be needed if you use this type of stain, earlier you said you intended to use a solid stain

Old 06-15-13, 08:42 AM
G
Sorry for the confusion about semi vs solid. From my reading, it seems that long term, the maintenance of a semi like TWP, while more frequent, is perhaps less labor intensive than solid. TWP 100 seems only available as semi. The Superdeck Elastomeric Declk &Dock is solid and I can't find reviews on it, either local or online.

Thanks again!

Old 06-15-13, 01:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO the labor on semi-transparent versus solid stain is the pretty much the same but I do like the look of semi-transparent better if the wood is decent enough. I really can't wrap my head around an elastomeric floor coating. Elastomerics tend to be both thick and flexible which IMO doesn't make it a good candidate for a deck coating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: