covered patio near house suggestions

Old 06-09-13, 11:41 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
covered patio near house suggestions

Hello,

I currently have a deck that I'm considering building a roof for. I've attached a photo of an idea of what we would like to build. It will be a basic frame with tinted pvc roof paneling. So, my question is, how do we marriage this to the eave of the house, or do we? We prefer to close off the house end of the patio roof, but are open to ideas. We live in Montana so the 4-5 months of snow is the reasoning behind the slope of the patio roof. Any suggestions are appreciated. ThanksName:  outside2.jpg
Views: 5255
Size:  12.8 KBName:  outside3.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  9.2 KB

Attached Images  
Old 06-09-13, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Yeah some programs just don't cooperate. You would extend your ridge onto your existing roof, removing shingles in the triangle as you go so you can re weave them back in once the structure is built. I don't know of any way you can incorporate hard panel roofing into a shingle roof like what you describe. I know your design calls for the translucent panels, but with your snow load, I really don't think it would benefit you. I am assuming your house has shingles. You could build in a couple of high curb skylights on the roof if that would help with the ambient lighting.

Old 06-09-13, 02:50 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No way would I ever suggested using those cheap plastic panels!.
Use 6 X 6's for the post.
There going to need footings not just mounted to the slab.
A whole lot easyer to have all the fashia's be at the same level, not like that picture shows.

Old 06-09-13, 04:25 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks chandler, the high curb skylights are a good idea. so aside from that, if we want a more open setting, we'll want to lean towards a pergola?

thanks again for your help.

Old 06-09-13, 04:35 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yes, a free standing pergola would be nice and would not infiltrate your house's envelope.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: