Victorian Porch Repair - Setting newel posts + joists

Old 06-18-13, 05:19 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Victorian Porch Repair - Setting newel posts + joists

I am repairing the front porch to an 1894 Folk Victorian. The front edge (towards the street) of the porch is decaying, boards and the one rim joist are rotten.

I am replacing the boards with in-kind material, 1x4 tongue and groove.

The porch is 10 feet wide and 6 feet deep.

Question time:

First question, joists...

A pier and post substructure has established a roughly 24" joist system. The existing joists look like they are in great and stable condition (except for the rim joist beneath the newell post and railing - rot due to rain due to no gutter - which i am also installing). While I have the porch boards up, do I want to redo the joists? Such as, do I gut or somehow insert an additional joist?

Im really impressed at the strength of the lumber under the deck, would seem stupid to knock it down and setup a 16" joist system. It's only 6 feet, and I feel the two rim joists and intermediary joists should do...

Second question, Newel Posts...
There are three Newell posts (decorative 4x4s original to 1894), with a roof above them (and above that is a sliver of the attic and the house roof). Are these load bearing? I can't imagine they are, especially since they sit atop 1 inch boards. Should I brace the roof above them? I need to get under the Newell Posts to get out the rotten boards and slide the new ones in. Tips on how to do this?

Question 2.5 on Newell Posts...
Do I have to set these on the 1x4 tongue and groove? The previous tongue and groove got chewed up around these posts. I was thinking of getting creative when I put the posts back in position, maybe cutout a 4x4 piece of tongue and groove and rest these posts on a different lumber.

I'm new to the forum, your advice is welcome!

Old 06-18-13, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!
1) If you have the floorboards up, you can do a total inspection and sister the joists that seem to have any wear/damage to them. Likewise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
2) Depending on how the roof structures are tied into the house, quite often they are actually a part of the house and rest on the load bearing exterior wall. Check first. If that is the case, there is minimal pressure on the newel posts. I'd still brace it off, as any movement will be noticeable.
3) Do as you suggest on the newel posts and fasten them into the joists and band board. Super strong at that point. In order to put your flooring down, however, you'll need to surround the newel post with joist material so you will have a nailing surface for your flooring. It can't hang in midair.

If you want, you can post a few pictures of what you are doing. We may have more to say....naaa!! http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-18-13, 05:59 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can you post a picture?
The reason post rot out is because of direct contact with the decking and often times not enough support under them so there's a slight sag where water gets trapped.
A simple Simpson strong tie post base can be used then wrap the base of the post with vinyl wood grained lumber with a vinyl base cap molding on top to cover up the post cap.

porch columns - Bing Images

Old 06-18-13, 07:31 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, you've provided a lot of insight already.

I uploaded two images; one showing the three Newel Posts, the other showing the chewed up boards beneath the posts. There is kind of a "sunken" look to one of the Newel Posts, as in the boards around it are depressed, and water can build up in it.

I'll snoop around the attic, I do believe there is framing that ties it to the exterior wall. I'll at a minimum brace the one end (left side of picture) with a 4x4.

Question re: what is "band board." I Googled some images of the band board. I don't know if I have this? Underneath the Newel Posts is a single 2x4. There is "some" 2x4 framing behind the paneling (or "skirt" - as I've been calling it). That's it, the same 2x4 framing that holds up the Newel Posts, sits on a concrete perimeter of the porch, and it's what the paneling is attached it.

frontporch_zps5d652cf0.jpg Photo by inindoaz | Photobucket

rimjoist_zps34669916.jpg Photo by inindoaz | Photobucket

Attached Images  
Old 06-19-13, 03:07 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Forget what I said about a band board. What you have is an actual sill with a skirt board for appearance on the outside. I forgot you said "Victorian". Nice house, BTW.
You'll need to rebuild and support that sill, since the newel posts will sit on it.. Having the posts sit on the sill is far better than sitting on the decking itself, as you see.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: