iroko pool deck! hopeless!

Old 06-22-13, 01:56 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
iroko pool deck! hopeless!

Hello everybody.
Last year, we had iroko deck installed around our swimming pool.
After varnishing/staining it with oil, it was wiped out really quickly(2-3 months).

This year, we called in some really good professionals. They told us the oil-varnish we used wasnt appropriate for that type of wood, so they completely re-did it, trimming the deck(or however its called) and varnished/stained.

However, 1 week after, no matter how hard i try cleaning it with the pressure washer, or mopping it, when it dries, it looks like footprints and dust is all over the deck again.
I am posting some photos so you can get an idea! Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 06-22-13, 04:06 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
#1 There was 0 reason to stain or try and seal the wood.
No clue why anyone would ever consider using varnish or even poly on an outside deck. Never going to work.
Any real painter or contractor would have known this.
Iroko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-23-13, 03:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I should think this would be treated like Ironwood, or IPE. No stain or finish at all. I believe that is what is causing the problems. If there were a way to remove all the finish and maybe apply one oil finish to it, it would probably not have the problems you are encountering, now. No solid finish, that's for sure. Oil stain, maybe, but not required with this type wood.

Old 06-23-13, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 862 Upvotes on 754 Posts
I'm not familiar with iroko but have stained a lot of decks including wooden pool decks. A quality deck stain is the type of coating that should be used. As Joe stated - you never use poly on a pool deck! Between the sun and water - it won't last long Even spar/marine poly won't last and then there is the slick when wet factor which is worse with a poly compared to a deck stain.

Whenever you aren't sure about the type of coating needed for specialized substrates it's best to contact the manufacture for their finishing advice, 2nd best is to discuss it with a paint rep at your local paint store [not a paint dept]

Old 06-23-13, 05:13 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I ll try figuring out exactly what they did to the deck since im not 100% sure, and let you know!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: