small bouncy deck, but no underneath access

Old 06-24-13, 06:02 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
small bouncy deck, but no underneath access

hi. we have a small (12x12 or 12x10) rear deck. it has no side rails/balusters/pickets. It is maybe 7 -13 inches off the ground depending on where you are on the slight slope. Its a step down to a natural walkway on one side. And has a step that was installed 6-7 inches down off the other side, leading to a paver patio.

I didnt build it but I assume its original to the house so, about 20 years old. photo of general layout attached.

I thought I have noticed it bouncing before while sitting on it and an adult walking across. Last night while grilling (not on the deck) my 9 year old walked out and I could visibly SEE it slightly bouncing.

So with the lack of access since its so low profile, what can be done? I am moderately handy, but dont want to tear the whole thing down. Even If I take the step off, I cannot get underneath. is taking off a few of the planks and blocking a possibility. of course I just stained it for the year too. but can redo of course.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks,

Brendan

Attached Images  
Old 06-24-13, 06:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Do you know what size the floor joists are? and how far apart they are spaced? How long has it been spongy? since you owned it? or did it used to be solid?

It might be possible to remove a few boards in the middle and add support but not sure if it would be enough.

Old 06-24-13, 06:12 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pictures of the top side of the deck are useless.
Need some from below.
Is that composite decking? If so the joist should have been no more then 16" apart.
Is there any center support in the middle of the deck?
A 10' span should have had at least 2 X 8 joist as a bare minimum, if they used 2 X 6's there's your problem.
Was joist hangers used?

Old 06-24-13, 06:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
Can you look up under the deck? With some parts of it a foot off the ground you should be able to peer underneath and see what you have. Measure the height of the joists and with a bright flashlight look for any broken, cracked or possibly rotten joists. If any looks suspicious I would remove deck boards for a closer look.

Old 06-26-13, 05:20 AM
T
I can try to photograph underneath and see what support is in place; sure. thanks

Old 06-26-13, 05:28 AM
T
its been spongey since I lived there. 5 years. but getting more noticeable. it used to have sides. ie - balsuters/pickets. we took those off about 3 years back since a) they were ugly and made you feel like you are in jail since its such a small deck and b) not required by code since height is so short. we did not mess with the corner beams or anything below decking level. just the baluster and cap railing.

but just wanted to point out that did happen so that may have some impact?

thanks all!

Old 06-26-13, 05:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
Were you able to peak underneath yet?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: