Tear out and reinstall of paver patio

Old 06-28-13, 11:30 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tear out and reinstall of paver patio

My backyard has a somewhat small paver patio. I admit that I have not taken very good care of it the last few years and I think it just needs to be taken out and redone. The slope of it seems to be a bit much but it could just have settled. Lots of plants coming up through it.

I can figure out how to take all the pavers out just fine but I'm not sure what to do to get them back in. I'm not a handy guy so I've looked up a few videos but they're all about starting from scratch and I don't think I need to dig THAT MUCH out. I'm hoping I can just take out the pavers, adjust the sand, and put them back in....trouble is I'm not sure what the best way to do that would be.

So--is there someone who could walk me through this?

1. Remove pavers
2. .........
3. .........

and so on....

Could I install landscape fabric on top of the existing sand or does that HAVE to go at the very bottom? I'm not sure if there's currently any barrier along the edges so I may need to do that as well.

Thanks all!

Old 06-28-13, 12:00 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Need a picture and more info.
If someone just laid some weed block over the grass and then laid the stones it's never going to work.
Need to know how far down it was dug out, if there was any thing laid before the stones.

Old 06-28-13, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What kind of pavers are you tearing up and reinstalling?

For removal-
If they are interlocking concrete pavers you will have to start at corner in work to ward the center. Starting on an edge is not nearly as easy. If they are clay brick or larger concrete "pavers" (over 10" in width or length), starting at a corner is best, but you can start on an edge because of the lack of a true interlock.

For relaying - Plan your size to minimize cutting make sure it is correct by test setting strips in both directions if possible before putting in or staking the edge restraint.

For installing-
If you want maximum strength out of the interlocking pavers, put a uniform screeded 1" layer of concrete sand over the compacted base that is graded to provide the slope you want. If you use weed block, put it between the base and concrete setting bed, and never directly under the pavers. Most weeds are from air-borne seeds and tight joints minimizes weeds. After setting sprinkle fine sand over the pavers and vibrate with a plate vibrator to bed the pavers and fill the butted joints with the fine sand for maximum strength and stability.

Non-interlocking pavers (clay brick and square concrete) - If you are reusing that type will not have the interlocking and will not be as stable or strong. Just lay in the pattern you choose on a 1" sand setting bed. Do not use more the 1" sand

Good luck!

Dick

Old 06-28-13, 03:43 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can try to take some pictures when it stops pouring rain here.

They are not interlocking pavers. They are pretty basic 4x8 paver bricks in a pretty basic basketweave pattern. There is a step from the back door in the same pattern that seems to be laid in concrete down to the patio. I will have to chisel the top layer of that off and re do that but I can do that.

There is definitely a layer of compacted sand below the patio but I'm not sure how deep it is or if there is gravel below. I'd kind of rather not dig through the sand that's there to find out in the name of not messing that up...but if I have to dig out a bit...then there it is.

Also--I'm not planning changing the shape of the patio or anything--just making it look better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: