Deck Boards Over Concrete Slab

Old 06-30-13, 07:44 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck Boards Over Concrete Slab

Would I be better off using composite wood over my front door porch? The slab is an eyesore but still level and no cracks (one corner is broke off a bit). This slab is only about 8x5 so it won't take much. I've read around here about possible moisture rot but will that be an issue with PT or composite wood? Also what kind of bolts or screws can I use to attach the frame to the slab? My original plan was to build a frame around the edge and then the boards over it.

Old 06-30-13, 07:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Not seeing your porch puts us a little behind in giving advice. Composites are not wood, but formed plastic, and won't tend to have the rotting of normal pressure treated wood in ground contact situations. If the porch is level without any boogers, you could possibly use PL 8x adhesive under the planks, not sure. Here again pictures of your porch will tell a lot. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-30-13, 09:01 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not going to work.
Any of the three brands of composite I've install all said there needs to be at least 12" under the deck for air flow.
Pressure treated for sure will just rot out.

Old 06-30-13, 09:24 AM
Hopefully this is a covered porch without the elements, in which case, while not ideal, veneering with the plastic may work. We'll need to wait on pictures.

Old 07-01-13, 09:26 AM
A
Sorry for the delay, I wish there was an app to make sharing pics easier but anyways im on the PC now. The porch/slab isn't covered enough to keep the elements out. There is an old school metal awning type deal that ill be replacing eventually. Here is the pic of the slab and I do plan to put some type of awning over it again down the road. Looking at the pic, you can see the cracked corner on the bottom right side of the slab. The step is cracked but that can be replaced easily.Name:  IMG_3541.jpg
Views: 16938
Size:  50.8 KB

Old 07-01-13, 03:31 PM
Honest opinion???? Got a sledge hammer?? take it all out and build a larger free standing stoop with new step. My idea would not fly on this one, after seeing the picture. A wooden stoop will make the house look warmer and more inviting. You're not 2' off the ground so no handrails, etc would be required. We can walk you through it.

Old 07-01-13, 08:21 PM
A
I should of known it was too simple of a fix! Taking out the slab had crossed my mind but that means having to make a trip to the dump with the left overs. I did consider finding a way to have the slab removed whole and placed elsewhere to build a shed on. So would composite wood be an issue over the concrete slab?

Old 07-02-13, 03:09 AM
I don't know how you would shake the "ugly" off of it Adding to the concrete will make it look bulkier, and , well.....added on to. You would need to address the edges and not leave them exposed, so building a frame around the sides would be necessary. That is why I say build a new one. By the time you figure out how to attach all this to the concrete, you could have a new really nice stoop built.

Old 07-02-13, 04:39 AM
J
Old 07-02-13, 07:26 AM
D
A composite such as Trex cannot be installed directly on the concrete slab. It needs a minimum of 1.5" of space underneath but a recommended 3.5" . Adding anything on top of the existing slab would create a shorter step into the house and a larger step up to the platform. A stumbling block.
I would either repair the slab, bust out the slab and replace the slab or bust out the whole thing and build new.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: