Tricky deck re-framing question

Old 07-01-13, 08:15 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tricky deck re-framing question

So a bit of a tricky situation, and I'm looking for smart opinions.

Our '78 vintage log mansion (oh yeah, I'm being sarcastic there) was framed here in AK in the day, when there were no codes, and homeowner built, and with no prior building experience.

The foundation is a relatively common AK choice in the day, pressure treated 2x8's sheathed with pressure treated ply, then wrapped in poly, and covered in 30lb felt (concrete and block were both pricey up here back then.) So on top of these strong walls, the builder decided to cantilever out the 2x12 floor joists (untreated of course) about 12' beyond these foundation walls. He then chose to block in between each joist, little cut sections of 2x12 x 14.5" blocking (unknown how the blocking is nailed in) to form the "sill" if you will. From the edge of exterior foundation wall into the house he then put 3/4 ply, dropped the log (kit, turned, milled logs) on top of that and went up. Outboard of the foundation wall he put 1/2" treated ply, covering it with indoor/outdoor carpet. That wasn't as foolish as it first sounds, as for years the rain and melting snow load would hit the carpet then run off, but he chose pressure treated 4x4's sunk about 2' into the ground as outboard supports, and eventually they have bowed, heaved, vs the foundation has sunk, and since we bought it 4 years ago, the deck is now a bowel leading down to the house walls.

So the cantilevered white wood joists, although fine quality '78 lumber, are of course succumbing to water/age, and I need a framing solution for attaching a ledger to whatever I can have left after I cut them off. The joists are for the moment, solid enough after they will be cut back to the edge of the blocking/foundation wall surface.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
John in AK

Old 07-01-13, 08:25 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Going to need some pictures on this one.

Old 07-01-13, 08:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 856 Upvotes on 749 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: