Attaching Ledger to Poured Concrete Foundation

Old 07-02-13, 07:22 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attaching Ledger to Poured Concrete Foundation

Hi all,

I am in the process of planning my deck (12X20) that is going to be around 18" tall at the lowest point. The house has a poured foundation and is on a basement. The home is only 6 months old, but I don't think there is a cure period prior to attaching a ledger. Correct?

My main question is about the safety of attaching to the poured foundation. The concrete is about 6-7 inches thick and has metal spines that run from top to bottom in it every 3 feet or so.

Hoping to get some helpful insight on how to attach to this. I was going to use expanding sleeves and bolts.

- Joe

Old 07-02-13, 07:35 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Build it free standing not with a ledger.

Old 07-02-13, 07:53 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When attaching to solid masonry you will have to install expansion anchors with a minimum diameter of and set into the wall at least 2-1/2.
Protect by sealing with silicon caulking wherever necessary. In some cases you may want to all out avoid the hassle of attaching to a masonry wall. You can always install footings and posts beside the house to support the deck without attaching to the house.

Old 07-02-13, 02:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with the free standing deck. But if you must, read up on the newest codes on decks before you start: http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Old 07-04-13, 11:12 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I was almost fully committed to building a freestanding deck, but started to shy away from it after reading about the pros and cons.

The house is not even a year old and as a result the soil around the foundation is very new. Also, since the home is on a basement I am going to have to make the base of the footer level with the floor of the basement.

The freestanding layout this close to the foundation also creates issues with the design and layout since the height is only around 18 inches right next to the house.

Now I am very confused. I understand what anchors to use and how they should be applied. I was worried about the foundation cracking or potentially having issues in the long term. Maybe I should just build a patio.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: