Rust Oleum "Restore" Deck Coating Product ? Opinion On ?

Old 07-03-13, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rust Oleum "Restore" Deck Coating Product ? Opinion On ?

Hello,

Anyone use that heavy paint-like "Restore" coating product
by RustOleum ?

Have a quite old pressure treated wood Deck. Live in New England.

Would appreciate any thoughts and opinions on,
and in particular the pros and cons.

Does it make (any) sense to use, or just have new wood put down, etc. ?
When would you not use it ?

Are there "better" other similar products ?

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-13, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 511 Votes on 481 Posts
I haven't tried it yet but I'm getting close. It looks like a pretty good product.

Old 07-03-13, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
I have no experience with that product, but I was not real excited with the heavy texture it leaves. Behr has a new similar product called "deck over" which does not leave quite as heavy texture. I was thinking of trying that on some wood chairs we have, but the chairs appear to be too far gone with rotting.

The Behr stuff is pretty spendy at $32 a gal.

Old 07-03-13, 06:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I haven't used it either, but my "physics" mind won't let me. What happens when you coat 3 sides of moist wood, leaving the underside open? It forms an inverted cup from which the moisture can never escape. Ensuing mold and wood rot, IMO, will follow. I'm not sold on it yet, but will, like all, keep an eye and ear open for those who have used it. Sorry I couldn't give any rock solid advice.

Old 07-04-13, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
I've not used any of those new 'deck restore' coatings either but I question what will happen when the coating wears out. Stains wear away and the prep for recoating is pretty straightforward but with a heavy coating, once it starts to fail you are going to have peeling which will lead to a lot of prep work when it's time to recoat ...... or live with all the scraped edges.

Old 09-19-13, 07:50 AM
After much research, we went with this stuff Deck Reform Store .

One thing that drew me in was the customer service. I had questions, so I called and got to speak with an actual person (who happened to be one of the owners) and they helped a lot. We are pleased with the results after 2 coats. I haven't had any first hand experience with the others (restore, deck over, rescue it)

Old 10-05-13, 05:49 PM
OK, I received orders from high command to do something with the front porch. It's only a sitting porch about 6' x 30' with columns and a balustrade and steps down to grade level, one story. I pressure washed it and it lacks pzazz, so she says. We go to HD and talk to one of the paint girls (really, she knows her stuff). She shows me a 5/4 board that looks like my porch floor half done with Restore with the pebbled finish. She proceeds to hit it 3 times with a hammer. Nothing. No chips, no scratches. OK, it's sturdy. Compares to 10 layers of paint in two coats.

What about the balustrade? They color match any color you want in a solid stain by Restore to go along with your deck stuff. Deck stuff is not for balustrades and columns. So I spent today staining column posts and two gazillion balusters. I get to the fun stuff on Monday. I will post pictures. I think it will be OK, since the porch is covered and my fears of my previous post won't come into play.

Old 10-06-13, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry, there can be a big difference between a sample kept in a controlled environment and the same coating applied to wood exposed to the elements. But my biggest concern is what happens when the coating fails? You said it resembles 10 coats of paint - what happens when it starts to peel You said the deck is covered and that will help, but what about the stairs? will they get the same coating?

Old 10-06-13, 06:28 AM
Yeah, the stairs will be the real test. They are exposed. Only time will tell, I guess. I did find that the Behr Deck Over will scratch pretty easily, so that was out, and it was slicker than the Rustoleum. We need traction, especially down those gosh awful steps. I'll post back after Monday's application, if it doesn't rain.

Old 05-08-14, 09:01 AM
Rustoleum Deck Restore

This product seemed very promising, but after one season it is peeling away quickly in my high traffic areas. I originally applied two coats and it looked great and appeared very durable for the season. The winter weather must have had some effect. It seems to be peeling away very easily......I am about to pressure wash it and see what happens. May be time to try another product.

Old 05-08-14, 01:29 PM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
I've stated my opinion on other threads even today about Restore. I don't think too much of it.

Old 05-12-14, 06:48 PM
Was just looking at the stuff today and brought home a brochure.

So I don't start another thread, what is the best thing to use on an outdoor porch deck? It's been a while but I don't remember hearing anything good about Thompsons.

Old 05-12-14, 08:21 PM
I've tried sealing, staining, and painting our southern yellow pine treated wood deck over the past 15 years. And, nothing has lasted more that 6 months. The last paint I used was Valspar Duramax (top rated by Consumer Reports). After a few months I was sold on it. But now, less than a year later, it's coming off in places. The sheen though is still pretty good. My new approach, to be done when time permits, is: 1) pressure wash deck to knock off loose paint, 2) buy any cheap exterior grade so called deck paint, 3) devise quick way to prevent over-spray (and keep record of how/what to do for next year, 4) spray it, and 5) repeat next year. I don't plan to sand. Why bother? I've done plenty of sanding before, and the finish never lasts a year anyway. And, I want a method I can do as quickly as possible with satisfactory results.

Old 05-12-14, 08:26 PM
If I had nekkid wood, I would probably use a transparent stain.

Old 05-13-14, 03:32 AM
my opinion's no different than the others who don't like it,,, when restore (local in atl) was bought by rustoleum who's got product in the apron/vest stores, it got much more exposure - just like behr paint which pro's never liked,,, keep in mind the best, or even better, materials are RARELY found in apron/vest stores their job is to sell stuff & they do it well by advertising to the wimmins

personally i like encore out of cartersville, ga [no $ interest],,, i've used it on our deck &, later on, client's decks,,, yes, it needs annual maintenance but, at least, you can do something w/it - not like restore IF i were to start w/new decking, i'd use penetrating oil-based stain over aged p/t southern pine,,, imo, latex stains are a synonym for paint,,, imho, olympic makes the best wood stain but most don't buy it due to $ [ no $ interest ]

Old 05-13-14, 04:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
what is the best thing to use on an outdoor porch deck?
A lot depends on what is type of coating [if any] is currently on the deck and what condition the wood is in. Generally it's not a good idea to paint a deck [too much prep needed when it's time to recoat] It's best to use a quality deck stain. Clear coatings have the shortest life. Toners or translucent stains hold up a lot better. The more pigments and body the stain has the longer it usually holds up. A semi-transparent stain generally lasts longer than a toner with solid body stains lasting the longest. There is a big difference between quality stains and their cheaper counterpart!

I used to prefer oil base stains but having worked 14 yrs in central fla I found that the intense sunlight killed the oil in short order making latex a better choice. Today, I prefer waterborne stains although I've had success with both oil and latex too. A lot depends on the environment the deck/coating is exposed to!

IMO the biggest issue with buying coatings from a big box paint dept is they tend to stock coatings based more on low price than on quality You'll always find the best coatings at your local paint store but be sure to buy their better coatings as they also have a line of cheap stuff