Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Attaching Ledger to Floor System of Engineered Joists Running Parallel to Ledger

Attaching Ledger to Floor System of Engineered Joists Running Parallel to Ledger

Old 07-05-13, 05:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

New codes require ledger boards be attached to the structure's floor system with those threaded-rod thingamajigs. That's a fairly straightforward process: bust out the ceiling drywall (this is a second story install), bore through the band, insert the threaded end of the thingamajig, attach anchor to floor joist, thread the thingy into the anchorage, patch your drywall, head outside and, eventually, tie the deck's floor system to the house's. Two problems I have are 1) the joists are not two-bys but engineered OSB and firring strip I beams and 2) those run parallel, not perpindicular, to the ledger, as seems to be the intended application of these "strain" gizmos. Any experience? Any ideas? Seems my set up would be like attaching to cardboard, worse than attaching to the band.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-13, 07:02 PM
Can you install a length of 2x cut to fit snugly perpendicular between the joists and attach the restraining link to that? That's the simplest solution I can think of.

Old 07-06-13, 12:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Too late to build a free standing deck instead?

Old 07-06-13, 05:02 PM
S
Freestanding not a cost effective option, though that's where I was headed. Blocking. TLDoug, blocking is a good answer.

Thanks, both of you.