Porch Swing Structure Questions

Old 07-15-13, 12:06 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porch Swing Structure Questions

I am installing a porch swing on the front porch of my house. The porch portions ceiling is actually 9 1/2" lower that the trusses for the roof. Currently they have used 2X4's that are then attached to a single 2X6 to use as a nailer for the aluminum soffit for the ceiling. There is a header beam on the exterior side of the porch that spans the length of the porch as seen in the first picture. Then there is the trusses and the additional bracing used to nail the soffit to that is 9 1/2" lower than the trusses in the second picture and the last picture shows the trusses attached to a beam on the house side of the porch.

I need to create some sort of bracing that can carry the load of the porch swing in this space. The porch swing will be positioned roughly 3' out from the house side running parallel to the house therefore spanning multiple trusses and needing to be braced 9 1/2" below them where the current 2X6's are that are being used as a nailer for the soffit. Obviously those 2X6's do not appear to be substantial enough to handle the load.

Can someone give me an expert opinion on the best way to do this for the space?

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-13, 02:24 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not seeing anything strong enough to support a swing.
Consider hanging it from a swing stand that sits on the floor.

Old 07-16-13, 06:27 AM
G
Sorry but that's the point. I want to build up the structure so that it can support the swing. The inquiry is to get recommendations on how that can be accomplished. I know that there is some way to do it I am just trying to determine the best way.

Old 07-16-13, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'd look into suspending each swing chain from a vertical 2 x 6, glued and screwed to both the top and bottom chords of appropriately-located trusses. Point loading on the trusses can be avoided by installing a few continuous spreaders to adjacent trusses.

Before anyone gets their undies in a bundle over the foregoing, just remember that the trusses bottom chords are probably being loaded to just a fraction of what they are capable of, seeing as how the aluminum ceiling is considerably lighter than typical fire-stop (5/8") sheetrock would be.