Advice on extending porch roof on ranch

Old 07-20-11, 11:21 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on extending porch roof on ranch

Hello -
I am extending a porch on the side of my raised ranch. I've included links to pics below to help explain what I would like advice on. I am removing the old porch/deck and expanding the new one by 6 feet. The current porch, as you can see, is built into the side of my raised ranch. The ceilings are vaulted, though there is one beam the connects the interior support beam on the left with the exterior wall to the right. I would like the new porch ceiling to also be vaulted. My plan is to extend the roofline on the left side so that it matches the current roofline. On the right, I will end the new roofline 24 inches over the new porch. I am extending the new roof out from the current roof by 6 feet. I have an idea of how to go about this, but I thought I would ask the forum for advice. I am mostly concerned about how to frame the new roof and tie it into the existing roofline, while keeping the vaulted interior. I was planning on using 2x6 rafters, since the current porch roof is 2x6, but the total length of the existing roof is 18'2" (on each side), with a span between the ridge and the left side support at 14'. I don't know that 2x6 on 12" center is permissible. I should say that I live in Vermont and the snow load is 40lbs./sq foot. Also, my town requires no permits for this.
I would appreciate any advice that anyone has on how to go about this. Here are links to the pics and thanks for any help!

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/...ckproject1.jpg

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/...ckproject2.jpg

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/...ckproject3.jpg

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/...ckproject4.jpg

Old 07-22-11, 03:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
"I am mostly concerned about how to frame the new roof and tie it into the existing roofline, while keeping the vaulted interior."

I think your first concern should be those 3 posts that are supporting the entire porch. They don't even look like that they are on footings. Even if there is no building code there, they should be on 12" footings (diameter), 4 feet deep. If you extend the porch, more are needed. Structure is from the bottom up. I would hire an architect to draw plans. Then money would be well spent.

Old 07-23-11, 08:07 AM
P
The 2 cement posts on the sides are 50" deep. I just stuck that one in the middle to prevent the porch from sagging until I could get this done. BTW, I had nothing to do with the current porch. I will put in three new footings (below frost line) 5 feet out from the current porch and use 4x4 posts to support the deck. I thought I would use a ridge beam coming out from the current roof on a king post that travels to the deck. One question: if I place the three new footings equidistant one will not be directly under the king post, so should I instead offset that footing so everything is lined up or can I have it offset by 3 feet? Then I thought I would put 2 new post next the current posts on the sides of porch running up to the top, and 2 posts on the corners of the new deck and 2, 2x10s as top plates between on each side. I thought I would put a 4x6 beam to match the one already in the existing porch between the rafters on one side of the new roof and the 2x10 top plate on the other side. Part of what I am struggling to figure out and why I am asking on this forum is how to handle the asymmetrical structure of the roof; ie, the fact the porch is not directly in the middle of the ridge of the roof. Anyway, its a challenge. Any advice? No one really seems to want to take a stab at it. I know there have got to be folks out there who have dealt with something like this and I am just looking for thoughts... thanks!

Old 07-23-11, 08:15 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
"Removing the old porch/deck" is certainly the best place to begin.

I'm with Pulpo -- get it designed by a pro and build it accordingly. Be prepared to make changes in what you "want" the roofline to be. Matching the existing on both sides is one thing, but changing the ridgeline so that the right side is 24" higher may require some things (like additional posts) that you may not be too crazy about.

First step will be proper footings, then posts that are continuous from the footings to the roof. After those are in place, you'll build the deck. You'll have to have something (beams or walls) on both the right and left side (as viewed in the first picture) to support the eaves of the roof.

Old 07-23-11, 03:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Philosopher, it's not the first time I've seen people shy away from giving an answer. That's because they agree with me when I say, have an architect draw the plans. Advice can't always be given based on some pics. It can be dangerous to do that, especially on structural questions. We don't want anyone to get hurt at any time.

Old 07-23-11, 09:44 PM
L
Philosopher,

You posted your reply while I was busy typing mine. Installing 4X4 posts to support the deck and then building the roof off of that won't work. Likie I said, your posts need to be large enough to support the roof, continuous from the footing to the roof, and you build your deck off of those.

Old 07-24-11, 08:34 AM
P
Pulpo - I understand that completely. I think it would be foolish of me to take advice I got off of an online forum and started building a deck from it. I am just wondering how people with deck/porch building experience would go about starting to think about the project, what sort of options there are and how difficult a project it is. I have some ideas, but I just wanted some experienced perspectives. BTW, I was describing the project to the president of the local lumber Company (he and I coached our son's Basketball team together) and he came over to look at it. Very nice guy. But he has an engineer who designs the trusses and structural lumber at his company. I am going to meet with him to go over some design ideas. I guess he has a bunch of computer programs for this sort of stuff. If I don't feel satisfied with the results, then I guess an architect is the next step. Still, I am only looking here for ideas, not instructions. But thanks

Old 07-24-11, 08:51 AM
P
Lefty, Okay - two questions. On the left side of the deck there is a cement column supporting the post which supports the existing header/top plate under the existing roof. If I support the new roof with a post next to that, you think I still have to run the post to a new footing, even though it would be literally right next to the existing cement column? Also, if I were to use a king post directly under the roof ridge, on the near (out) side of the new roof, is it feasible that the inner end of the ridge beam (butting the existing porch roof) could be supported by simply tying it into the existing roof and using rafters and a collar tie to support that end? Hope that makes sense. Again, just as I said to Pulpo, I am only fishing for ideas. I know better than to take advice from an online forum and then go build a it. I am meeting with an engineer and if I can't get the satisfactory information from him, I will go to an architect. But I am really at this point just trying to get a sense of how experienced porch/deck builders would go about at least thinking about the project. Thanks for your input.

Old 07-24-11, 02:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The basic idea is thinking from the bottom up. As lefty described, you want your posts to continue from the cement footings through the deck & to the roof. The deck & the roof are hung off the sides of those posts. An architect of engineer will tell you how many are needed & where they are to be placed. Once you have that, you'll be able to following the plans with basic carpentry knowledge.

Old 07-25-11, 12:24 AM
L
Yup, build from the bottom up. The posts support the roof, and you do the deck after the roof is in place.

A question -- you mentioned a 40 lbs. snow load. Is that the ground load or the roof load?

Back in '05 or '06, the UBC went away and was replaced by the IRC. A LOT of things changed when that happened. The decks and patio covers that I was building in a 30 lbs. load (as defined in the UBC) suddenly became subject to a "40 lbs. roof load". Footings became a lot larger, posts had to be bigger, deck ledgers became a nightmare, ... and there became this distinction between a "ground snow load" and the "roof snow load". Weather hadn't changed, but suddenly i had to build to a 40 lbs. load instead of the 30 lbs. load that I had been building to for a couple of decades.

I see the concrete columns at the corner of your deck (now that you pointed them out!) Under the UBC, they were probably fine. Under the IRC, my guess is that they aren't gonna fly. Too small, and no rebar in them.

Get an architect, structural engineer, or certified designer (whatever VT will allow and accept) and go with whatever he or she tells you to do.

Old 07-16-13, 06:43 PM
P
The Porch project

If anyone's interested here's what happened with the porch...

The Porch Project Photos by Michael_Ashooh | Photobucket

Old 07-16-13, 07:55 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Can't view the pix--get a "This album is Private" message. Would be interested in seeing what you wound up doing.

Old 07-21-13, 05:38 AM
P
Advice on extending porch roof on a ranch

Okay, I think this works.

The Porch Project Photos by Michael_Ashooh | Photobucket

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: