block patio slope question

Old 07-26-13, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
block patio slope question

I'm building a 14' 4" long by 16' wide raised patio coming off the back of my house. The yard slopes down about 1.5' from the back of the house to the end of the patio. I started laying the retaining wall block and I've been gradually sloping it for drainage. I'm sloping the wall because the patio block surface will be right on top of the wall. I didn't want it to be under the top of the wall at the low end. I've got one wall almost done with the slope. It's about a 3" drop from the house to the end of the patio right now. Is that too much slope? I figure that is about a 1.73% slope. The picture I included is not the final wall I almost have done. It was more of a test stack to see how it looks. I pulled them all up and adjusted the slope so they are straight.

Attached Images   

Last edited by bdf24; 07-26-13 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-13, 08:36 PM
Block patio slope

That will be appox 1/4" per foot. This should be sufficient for typical water run off.

Old 08-22-13, 07:38 AM
Update on this project. Its been going slow due to time restraints. Below is a picture of what I have done so far. I have a few inches of traffic bond spread out ready to be compacted. We decided to go with 4"x8" Holland brick pavers for the surface instead of the patio block. We're going to do a harringbone pattern.
Name:  patio 5.jpg
Views: 6709
Size:  49.9 KB

Old 08-22-13, 07:41 AM
Question:
Do I have to use sand for a base to lay the pavers on or can I lay them directly on the compacted traffic bond? I'll be installing wall caps all the way around the patio. The caps are 2 1/4 thick, the same as the brick pavers we'll be using. I thought it would be easier to screed and compact the traffic bond so it's level with the top of the wall before installing the wall caps. Then when I lay the pavers down they should be perfectly flush with the wall caps. Will this work or do I need to use sand for a base to lay the pavers?

Old 08-22-13, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Install them on the sand - you want a compacted base which includes the slope and then about an inch of sand on top of that, the sand helps you ensure all the pavers end up at the same height.

Old 08-22-13, 08:44 AM
Thanks Mitch. So from what I've read the pavers will sink about 1/4" into the sand. Is this true? If so I will need to compensate for that to make sure the pavers and wall caps are flush.

Last edited by bdf24; 08-22-13 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-22-13, 08:53 AM
An excellant pove to drop the idea of a large "stepping stone" unit and go with a real paving stone (especially if they are interlocking type with spacer bars on each side of the units". There is marked difference in the ability to not have any noticeable deflection and better ability to handle water.

A herring bone is the best pattern.

With a real paver, you should have a UNIFORM screeded coarse sand bed over the entire well compacted base to and then a fine sand cast over the set pavers that evens out the surface, gets sand into the interlocking joints and provides superior strength and stability. A vibratory plate compactor is used to even out the surface and do the final pass.

The reason I suggested a herring bone pattern is that it gives superior stability, but some others patterns (running bond and even a basket weave work well). The reason for the 1" UNIFORM bed is to be thick enough to to allow any lateral movement of the excess water that the base cannot absorb, but is thin enough to prevent the pavers from "swimming" and still transmit all vertical point loads to the compacted base. - It is a system that has been used for decades on driveways, streets, airport taxiways and heavy duty industrial storage areas.

Dick

Old 08-22-13, 09:19 AM
Yes, these pavers do have the spacer bars on the side. So if I have my final bed of sand 2 inches below the top of the wall caps the pavers should be flush once the pavers are laid and compacted correct? I'm just worried about ending up with the paver surface being above or below the wall caps.

Old 08-22-13, 12:16 PM
As long as you have the good pavers, your method should be OK, but the final vibration and evening out of the surface may cause a slight amount settlement of up to 1/8" or 1/4". Just don't use a setting bed that is too thick...Just measure the thickness of the pavers since there a 2 common thickness of 60 mm(about 2-3/8"), 80mm (about 3-1/8"). I doubt you would have the 100mm(about 3-7/8") since they are for real heavy duty like industrial projects.

Looks good! - Good luck!!

Dick

Last edited by Concretemasonry; 08-22-13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-22-13, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll post pictures when it's all done. It'll be at least another week before I start laying pavers. I'll be compacting all of TB this weekend. The pavers will probably be done the weekend after that.

Old 09-03-13, 10:23 AM
Finished!

We finally finished! I love how it turned out.

Name:  finished patio straight on.jpg
Views: 6030
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  finished patio angle.jpg
Views: 6103
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  finished patio furnished.jpg
Views: 3549
Size:  51.0 KB

Last edited by bdf24; 09-03-13 at 10:42 AM.