Replacing Stone Patio and Removing Concrete Wall

Old 07-26-13, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Stone Patio and Removing Concrete Wall

I posted earlier about this but since I'm moving along I thought I'd start a new thread... my husband and I bought a part of our neighbor's property and we are awaiting the landscaper to come do a sprinkler system and sod. I also want to redo our patio and remove the concrete wall that was the base of a brick wall that was on the property line. I'd like to do the patio myself.

My first preference is to remove the concrete wall and put a curved patio in the area. But the height difference between the current patio, and the new yard, is probably about 8 inches. What kind of edge support will the new patio need? Should I use retaining wall blocks? I do want it to look nice, and I don't know if the height difference is enough for a new retaining wall. So I'd love to get some ideas of options for the edge.

I'm attaching some pictures of what it looks like now. The landscaper does say they can remove that concrete wall, though it'll be pricey ($950). Another option would be to re-lay the existing patio, cut down the concrete, but use it as the edge. Then lay a lower patio in the corner area. I just really hate that concrete and want it gone, and my preference would to replace the whole thing with a new nicely curved patio that goes from one corner of the house to the other.

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-13, 04:47 PM
You haven't mentioned what material you plan to use for the new patio--poured concrete? Paver blocks? If the former, an option could be to partially cut down the wall, and let it partially support the patio concrete.

If you want the wall removed, you would be very foolish to pay anyone almost $1000 to remove that tiny wall. You could save some serious $$$ by letting hubby prove what a he-man he is by removing it himself. Easiest option would be to drill some holes down the middle, fill them with S-Mite, and let it do the hard work of breaking up the concrete. Second easiest would be to rent a 90-lb. electric concrete breaker for a day, and have at it. Hardest would be to take a 10-lb. maul to it, accompanied by a 6-pack of his favorite malted beverage.

Old 07-26-13, 04:50 PM
LOL Thanks for the reply... I will look into your options for taking down the concrete wall. Unfortunately my husband isn't really a he-man. He's handy when he's motivated, though.

I plan on reusing the paver stones for the new patio. I actually quite like them.. though they could probably use a touch-up with a stain or something to perk them up. And I'd probably need more.

Old 07-26-13, 07:08 PM
Here's a plan of attack (on wall removal):

After you've made hubby a fabulous breakfast of his favorite fixings, and done a few loads of his stinky laundry and taken care of feeding the kids and gotten them off to their activities for the day, bake him a batch or two of his favorite cookies, or maybe even a home-made pie (he looks like a coconut cream guy in the photo). Then meekly ask him if he'd like to enjoy the treats while relaxing in his chaise-lounge, while watching little, tiny you as you begin the wall removal process. And it probably wouldn't hurt to throw in a few "I'm sorry, Sweetheart, for taking so long, but I'm trying as best I can!"

Old 07-26-13, 07:40 PM
Um... no, I'd rather be out there working.