Free-standing ground level deck and gap between house and beam

Old 07-29-13, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Free-standing ground level deck and gap between house and beam

I am currently building a large floating deck that sits up against my house. It is only 8 inches above ground level. The footings are deck blocks and the posts are short 4x4's. The joists will be attached to the beams using joist hangers.
My problem is, the first beam is about 6- 8 inches from the side of the house. When I put deck boards on the first deck board beside the house will be unsupported unless I attach short joists (6-8 inches) in between the beam and the house. I am just not sure how to do this.

Should I put a rim joist up against the house and then attach joists between the beam and the rim joist or should I just attach joists to the beam and wedge them between the house?

Any help would be excellent.
Thanks,
K

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-13, 08:10 PM
Using joist hangers on the rim joist and beam is about the only decent way to do it, to prevent any surprises down the road. May look a bit silly, having just 8" joists with hangers on each end, but once the decking is on, they wouldn't show. The other option would be to reverse the orientation of your beams, running the joists parallel to the house and the decking at right angles to them.

Old 07-31-13, 06:45 AM
Got any pics of what you are doing?