Sleeper Thickness for Composite Decking over Concrete Patio

Old 07-29-13, 03:52 PM
doc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sleeper Thickness for Composite Decking over Concrete Patio

We have a concrete patio. It serves its purpose but its a bit ugly and gets quite hot during the summer. I'm thinking about decking over it. The problem is that using 2X4 sleepers raises the level of the new decking to a point it creates some issues. I know the 2X4 sleeper is used to create air flow and prevent rot. If I use composite can I get away with thinner sleepers? Just curious.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-13, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wood, no matter where it is used, if in contact with water will degrade. I wouldn't worry about the composite, but the sleepers themselves. They go, the entire thing goes. Composite will be hotter than your concrete, IMO, as it doesn't dissipate heat very well. If 2x4's are too tall, have you considered a stamp and stain finish for the patio? They look great. Or consider tiling the patio. Not the best solution since you are dealing with water, freeze, thaw cycles.

Old 07-29-13, 08:01 PM
If your concrete patio is too hot and ugly (sounds like my neighbor's teenage daughter, who delights in parading around their yard wearing next to nothing), why not consider replacing it with grass pavers? Sometimes called lattice pavers, they're placed on a well-draining base, and come in various styles and colors. You fill all of the gaps with topsoil, then plant grass seed or a ground cover. I've also seen them filled with pea gravel, but it would be a lot hotter than grass during the summer.

You'll have to do some hunting to find a source, as I've never seen them in big box stores. Specialty concrete products places have them, or google a search under grass pavers or lattice pavers. If the price scares you (they aren't cheap), you could build a few forms and make your own.

Old 07-30-13, 09:34 AM
If using Trex, you need a minimum of 1 1/2" space.