Sloped rafter/joist in non-sloped joist hanger.

Old 07-30-13, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sloped rafter/joist in non-sloped joist hanger.

I'm designing an attached patio cover, sort of like a pergola but with a solid top. I'll have a ledger attached to the house, and rafters/joists attached to that. If I use a 2x6 rafter I could use a hanger like the Simpson LU26. However, my roof slope will be 1/2:12, per city code.

I couldn't find the answer on the Simpson web site so I thought I would try here. Simpson states for a hanger like the lu26, "Joists sloped up to 1/4:12 achieve load tables", but they don't give any load reduction factors for other slopes, like 1/2:12 for example. Does anyone have any info on this, or is it just not allowed to go more than 1/4:12?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-13, 04:04 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Adjustable hangers may be more what you are looking for. LSSU28 should allow you to set your slope at exactly what angle you need to achieve 1/2:12

LSU/LSSU Adjustable Light Slopeable/Skewable U Hangers

Last edited by czizzi; 07-30-13 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 04:11 PM
Thanks, I'll check that out. I just got a reply from Simpson support. Most hangers, including the LU26, are not rated for a slope more than 1/4:12. So why do I see these on patio covers that obviously have more than 1/4:12 slope?

Are people building without permits or are the inspectors just ignoring it?

As I look around town, I see a lot of stuff that is obviously not code-compliant. What's the deal here?

Edit: I just spotted the Simpson LRU that can be used with slope 0:12 to 14:12

Old 07-31-13, 01:35 AM
Lots of non-permitted work, and a few inspectors asleep at the wheel.

Take your pick, as your area, like many parts of the country, probably (make that definitely, as I lived and built there almost 20 years) has both.

Old 07-31-13, 05:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Only in the past 10 years or so have we had any type of code enforcement, probably similar to your area. Now things are done right (mostly) as our inspector is fair but thorough. BUT, in my line of work (remodeling) I find those 10 year old boogers and have to correct them. Like this single junction box with 9 cables in it, all just twisted and taped.

Name:  Jbox nightmare.jpg
Views: 6027
Size:  28.6 KB

Old 07-31-13, 10:30 AM
This reminds me of when I got my furnace replaced. The guy says, "your exhaust is not code-compliant, but I'll fix it". So when he got done I took a look, and he had cut a b-vent pipe in half to fit. It passed inspection.