Looking for advice on deck design

Old 08-01-13, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice on deck design

I'm looking to upgrade my existing deck next year and am in the process of research and designing the structure. I came across some "plans" of a deck that my wife and I really like, but they are missing a lot of detail (presumably to convince you to contact a contractor). We like the layout, but the plans don't give a lot of detail on the specific connections between the beams/joists, etc... Specifically, I'm looking for recommendations regarding the post beam connections. The plans are here.
The connections in question is below...

Am I on the right track?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-13, 04:57 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I prefer a free standing design where the posts pass through the deck & are used for the railing as well. No ledger board is used. In your case, some of the posts would go all the way to the roof & become part of the headers.

Since you are posting here, I assume that you don't intend to file plans with the building department. If that's the case, keep in mind that it could cause problems if you decide to sell the house.

Old 08-01-13, 10:14 PM
You could try your local lumber store to see if they have a program for deck design. The pic on the top, I would have two posts beveled and bolted together then each beam would be through bolted using 2, 1/2" bolts staggered. The second pic, I would cut the inner beam 2x as you have the outer beam 2x and double bolt each section of the beam to the post. The bolts would also be staggered.

Old 08-02-13, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I actually do plan on getting a permit/inspection. I'm a DIYer, but I'm also an anal engineer that prefers for things to be done right.

I'll keep working at this and am always open to suggestions.

Thanks again!

Old 08-03-13, 09:49 PM