Deck Issue -- Help Requested!

Old 09-08-13, 08:40 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck Issue -- Help Requested!

Hello all,

While staining my deck, I did a good once-over and saw what I believe is a structural issue. Wanted to get some takes on the best means of remediating the issue. The railing, as well as the supports on the part furthest from the house appear to be pulling away from the main deck. I'm also not sure what the 1x1 board is doing, with the joists with cutouts. I'm concerned about stability of the deck...

Album of pictures: Deck Issue - Imgur

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-08-13, 08:48 AM
G
Adding info... House was built in 1996, and the previous homeowner installed stairs. He did not pull a permit for adding the stairs, which (I believe) is required in my area.

The deck is all nails, no screws (other than the lag bolts connected to the house) are present.

Old 09-08-13, 09:26 AM
W
I'm pretty sure you have reason to be concerned about stability here. Those joists look like they're about to fall off what's supposed to be supporting the entire weight of the deck.

I'm a painter, not a framer but something tells me they didn't get a permit for the deck either.

Old 09-08-13, 09:33 AM
G
The original deck was built with the house and surely was done with a permit/inspection. I get the feeling that the stairs caused some issues. Trying to decide whether to fix, or to start over :/

Old 09-08-13, 12:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
First, having your joists notched on the ends takes them down one board size. If they are 2x8's, then you effectively have a 2x6. You can check the span tables to see if the smaller lumber will work, and if not, they are undersized. Not good. The 2x2 system was done away with years ago by adopting joist hangers for the full joist to sit on.

The pulling away is a concern. Temporarily, get some 6" Timberlocks and drive from the face of your deck into the ends of the joists in two places each to draw the joists and band back together.

I cringe to think that there are no carriage bolts holding the deck to the house, but since it is falling apart this much, I say check that while you are at it.

Old 09-08-13, 05:44 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not seeing a whole lot done right there.
That 2 X 2's not doing anything for you any more.
I'd remove it. Then tack on a temporary board to the outside of the rim joist so I could use a sledge hammer to beat the rim back in place without damaging it.
One it's back in place add joist hangers.
Those beams have nothing holding them in place, there was supposed to be post caps to attach them to the rim joist. You could at least add some L brackets since it's to late to do it right.

Old 09-08-13, 10:58 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Save yourself a lot of grief, time and $$$. Just completely remove and replace what's there, meaning everything, which looks to me like an accident waiting to happen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: