New wood steps painting

Old 08-01-13, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New wood steps painting

I just replaced 2 pressure treated steps on my
deck,and i want to know if i can paint them right away.

I know its preferable to let P.T. wood age a bit,but these new treads are on the front of my house.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-13, 06:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do not paint them yet.
If you do you'll be sealing in the moisture and fight mold and peeling paint in no time.
Could have used kiln dried after treatment wood, or changed all of the treads to composite.
Personal I'd never paint pressure treated treads. I'd stain then instead.
Just not a big fan of having to do all the sanding, priming and painting all the time.

Old 08-02-13, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Ya, they need to dry out first - that can be as little as a few weeks or as long as 6 months, it all depends on how wet they were when installed and the environment they are in.

I second the use of a deck stain versus paint! What type of finish is on the rest of the steps/deck?

Old 08-02-13, 06:23 AM
Original decking is Cedar,i made the mistake of putting on a sealer that discolored and flacked.
I sanded ,and painted over with a deck paint that is peeling now. My thoughts are to remove as much of the original paint and seal. Hence my query about painting, stain,etc.

Old 08-02-13, 10:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Which deck coating [brand and type] is currently on there?

Old 08-02-13, 11:55 AM
BEHR Premium low- lustre deck enamel paint. 1 year old

I have been using this paint for 5 yrs. with same results.

Foolishly,i went with the carpenter who installed the cedar deck advice.

Thanks for your reply

Old 08-02-13, 12:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll be a lot better off with a deck stain! How well the existing paint is removed and/or cleaned up will determine what type of stain you can use. Unless it all comes off, you'll need to use a solid deck stain. It will still look like paint but no gloss, it should suck in and adhere better to the wood than the porch paint does.

Old 08-02-13, 12:59 PM
Thanks for your input. Sounds like the only way to go.

Old 08-10-13, 03:18 PM
Follow up:

I power washed 2 decks today. One was pressure treated with 2 coats of old paint,the other was cedar with one coat of exterior paint that peeled.

My question(s) is that i couldn't get all the paint off of both decks as the wood started to splinter so i stopped. Can i just prep ,and paint both decks with anything appropriate durable exterior finish?

My understanding is unless the decking is completely sealed,peeling will still occur.

Thanks for any help here.

Old 08-11-13, 02:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you PW alone or use it along with a deck cleaner or stripper? It can easy to damage wood with a PWer
Can you post some pics of how the deck looks now?

I'd probably use a solid deck stain. Deck coatings don't last forever as they generally see more abuse from the weather than any other wood on a house. Paints mean pealing which means scraping and priming prior to repaints. Stains don't often peel [most tend to wear away] which simplifies the prep needed when it's time to recoat. Generally the better the wood is sealed the longer the coating will last but sooner or later the weather will break thru the protective barrier and deterioration of the coating will start.

Old 08-11-13, 05:28 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Here are some pics.

C:\Documents and Settings\dick\My Documents\My Pictures\Deck stripping pics

Attached Images  
Old 08-11-13, 05:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd be inclined to use a coat or two of a latex solid deck stain with Flood's EmulsBond added to the first coat.

Are the edges of the peeled paint still well secured to the wood? If not, you should scrape/sand those areas first.

Old 08-11-13, 05:41 AM
That brings back horrible memories. Last year a family had me strip their deck that was painted with exterior porch and floor paint that was failing horribly. The plan was to recoat with a solid stain. I explained that the stripping could be a nightmare in terms of labour as there was no way to determine how easily the paint would come off in all areas.

I used stripping solution, scraping, etc. It was horrible. Eventually I got off as much as I could and it looked very similar to what you have left. Then I used a random orbit sander with 60 grit pads (lots of them) to get the remaining paint off.

It ended up looking great, but boy did they pay a fortune for the stripping of the deck. Of course they chose a semi transparent stain in the end which I explained likely won't last as long as a solid!

After all that hard work.... Shoot me.

Old 08-11-13, 06:30 AM
I have much appreciation for what you had to go thru. I started with scraping and sanding,then some smart clerk at H.D. asked why i was not using a Pressure washer. DUH!!! Today i'll go over the decks again to see if i can get off any loose stuff,carefully,of course.

I guess i'll go with some solid color. Any suggestions on finishing would be appreciated,such as Latex,Oil,cement (Only kidding)

Many thanks to all who answered my plea.

Old 08-12-13, 03:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cement wouldn't need to be recoated at a later date but it'd put a lot of stress on the framing

I'd go with a solid latex stain, dries quick and easy clean up. Adding about a quart of EB per gallon of stain helps to insure that it will bond well to both the raw wood and the existing paint. A 2nd coat of stain will help to even out the finish - make it harder to see where the old paint was and raw wood is. EB should only be added to the 1st coat.

Old 08-12-13, 05:52 AM
O.K........ I'll post back some later time when i finish the job to
Let you all know how it came out.

Still have a lot of scraping, and sanding to do.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-12-13, 09:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No problem you are the one doing the hard part

Old 08-12-13, 11:29 AM
Take a bow........ If it wasn't for folks like you,and others on this site,people like me would be in deep ****.

Old 08-12-13, 12:06 PM
If you want to make your life a lot easier, get yourself a carbide blade wood scraper. You will never, ever, ever want to use the regular steel blade scrapers ever again. I don't say this often, but that changed my life. Much sharper and doesn't go dull in 2 minutes. Just have to be more careful with it.

That picture screams to me of using a random orbit sander with 60 grit pads. I think you'd have it down to bare wood everywhere with little effort in very short order. I don't know if I'd recommend this, but I removed the restriction ring on mine. You just have to hold on tight so the thing doesn't torque itself out of your hand.

Old 08-13-13, 05:58 AM
Sure is time consuming.

I'll checkout the wood scraper you mentioned.

Thanks for the reply

Old 08-17-13, 02:42 PM
Behr & Rustoleum Products

I wonder why no one's mentioned Behr DeckOver or Rustoleum Restore. They come in tons of colors, fill in imperfections, and are textured (non-slip). In my mind at least that means a lot less surface prep. I mean sure, pressure wash and spot-patch / prime, maybe. Priming might not even be necessary. I'm looking at these two products to correct and hopefully solve deck stain and porch paint problems that have been plaguing me for years. Used to use Thompson's for deck -- not any more (long story. Anyway, just thought I'd mention. I've enjoyed this thread. Oh - also, the DeckOver is supposed to be good for 5 years. If it does that'd be awesome.

Old 08-18-13, 03:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The new deck coatings like deckover and restore scare me. From what I know about painting I can't see where they would hold up long term and would expect there would be a LOT of extra prep when it comes time recoat. It will be interesting to hear what customer's thoughts are on this product after several yrs.

Old 08-18-13, 06:20 AM
Update:

I've done a lot of scrapping and sanding,hand and rotary. Feathered the edges in difficult areas that won't come clean with out damaging the wood surface.
My wife got involved because she read,etc. about Behr(Home Depot) premium deck paint stain and finish stripper. She spent half a day on smallest of 3 decks,and it still looks the same as before......
I think a good dry scraping,sanding and water wash might do the trick.

I did buy Behr's Premium Deckover though.

I'll post back later with the results.

Old 09-07-13, 06:46 AM
Not being comfortable attempting this job mysef,i have contracted a pro to re-surface the decks.

Thanks to all for your inputs

Old 09-07-13, 08:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Be sure to check his references and get any warranty in writing! If you are supplying the coating he may not warrant anything but his workmanship.

Old 09-07-13, 10:02 AM
I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks