Concrete Porch Slab -- Footing?

Old 08-02-13, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete Porch Slab -- Footing?

Hi there!

I'm working my way through a drawn out remodel of my old 1885 home in NJ, and am converting a back "mud room" in to a home office. I would be meeting with clients back there from time to time, so I was considering how I might best add a small half bath.

I was considering how I might be able to enclose this strange little pseudo-porch that is off the back door to gain a little bit of extra room. The room it is adjacent to was likely added on to the house sometime in the early 20th century (or maybe even later), and I assume the porch was poured then.

My understanding is I could only use it if there were footings -- is this correct? How might I go about ascertaining whether or not there are footings. The room it is adjacent to has a small crawl space, too low to gain access to. That seems like a bad sign, right?

Thanks guys, and please excuse the mess! =)

Name:  2013-08-02 14.55.48.jpg
Views: 2174
Size:  32.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-13, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the pic. That is a little bit of a problem. Some times the area where the steps are would be formed and poured and no footing. The step would be just sitting on the ground. You could try drilling some exploratory holes (3/8") in the area of the step to figure if there is a footer. If you do build on it will you be removing the steps? Whats your local? As the home is quite old and you haven't had any problems with settling (that I can see) I'd think there is a footer but you never know.