Advice on re-staining a deck

Old 08-04-13, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on re-staining a deck

I have a small deck that I need to restain. I understand I need to clean it well and perform other prep work. In terms of staining do I need to just appy a stain or do I need a sealer or some other product before. After staining do I need to apply anything else. I'm assuming there are all-in-one stain-sealer- whatever else, any recommendations on those.

Lastly if anyone has any stains or products that they've used and had good results with I'd appreciate any info on those.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-13, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
After cleaning all you need is 1-2 coats of a quality deck stain. The stain also acts as a sealer. I'm partial to SWP's DeckScapes ...... but that's also the paint store I trade at for most of my coating needs. Cabot, Sikkens and SuperDeck are also brands with a good reputation. For the most part - price is a good indication of the quality of the stain.

Old 08-05-13, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Benjamin Moore deck stains have gotten some endorsement here as well. As Mark said, deck stains are a little different than normal would stains as they are the sealer as well.

Old 08-05-13, 01:33 PM
Sealants typically provide less protection than stains and don't last as long. Just apply as per the directions on the bottle. Usually the stain and sealant manufacturers have products for each step in the process from cleaning to brightening/etching to the finaly layers. They will have a step by step go-by on the can.

Old 08-05-13, 01:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
An exterior wood stain is a sealant! Clear sealers like thompson's water seal have a short life span but are completely clear. Most any exterior wood stain will also seal the wood. Generally the more pigment a stain has, the longer it will last. Exterior wood stains aren't like interior wood stains that need a sealer [poly/varnish] applied over them. Deck stains are formulated for the harsher exposure a deck receives. While a deck stain can be used on siding, a siding stain won't hold up well on the flat surfaces of a deck.

Old 08-07-13, 02:26 PM
OK thanks everyone that helps me out, I'll most likely go with SWP as they are near me.