adding slope to a levled porch

Old 08-06-13, 02:36 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adding slope to a levled porch

I have a wood porch that is leveled and I would like to give it some slope so when rain blows on to the porch it doesn't leak into the basement . The joist that support the floor of the porch are also the ones that support half of the foyer so can anyone give me advice on how to add some slope to my porch

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-13, 03:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is this porch covered? Is the floor solid, or spaced like a deck? How is the water getting into the basement? It may help us to see what you are seeing, so a few pictures may be in order. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-06-13, 06:03 AM
K
The previous owner had put tiles on the porch floor and the water would go to the sag next to the door. I pulled the tiles off and that stopped most of the water leak. I am working on fixing the sag towards the house but as you can see someone already sistered the joist and it did not fix the sag

Attached Images     
Old 08-06-13, 06:17 AM
J
The slope is the least of your troubles.
The deck should have been built as a free standing deck, not attached to the house.
I'd bet there's no flashing at the bottom of that door.
The deck should have been a minimum of 4" below that threshold. Most codes call for 6".
I'd also guess if you pulled off some of those deck boards you would see the wall was never water proofed or flashed there the ledger boards are.
That rotten brick molding should have been replaced with PVC brick molding, you installed it without priming and painting it to coats before installing, so not there's going to be bare wood exposed right where water can soak in and rot it out again.
Best way to fix it would be to start over.

Old 08-06-13, 03:11 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Are we looking at the sun through your basement floor?? Does this porch extend over the basement framing?? I would pull all the deck boards and remedy all that I could, possibly removing the entire porch flooring system (joists, etc.) and rebuilding it. The porch canopy can be temporarily supported while the work is done.

Old 08-06-13, 07:23 PM
K
Yes the porch extends into the basement. The joist that support the porch extends into the house and are the ones under the foyer floor. They are about 12feet long. Where you see the sun is the left wall next to the door. Water comes in throw those openings and also at the corner next the the door. I was thinking of waterproofing the porch with some type of membrane and using synthetic flooring plank but I also want a slope so that water doesn't sit at the corner.

Old 08-07-13, 03:34 AM
J
That is on old house design that's never made any since to me at all.
Everyone I've seen on here like that on any DIY site or in real life has leaked and has done thousands of dollars in damage to the home.
There just is no decking that your going to be "waterproofing" to fix that.
Closing off the foundation so it no longer is open under that porch and water proofing it on the outside and building a free stand porch may be the best way.

Old 08-07-13, 04:42 AM
K
yup this house was built back in 1846. Closing off the foundation would be to big of a job for me and to much money

Old 04-07-14, 12:08 PM
A
killahbeatz did you find a solution to your issue? I am running into the same problem with a house built in 1915