Rotting cedar deck

Old 08-06-13, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rotting cedar deck

20 years ago I put down a cedar deck. It is on 2x10 pressure treated lumber ON THE GROUND! The 2x10's were placed on the ground, the 1x4 - 5/4 decking nailed on top, with 1/4"-ish spacing in the boards. Now, the boards are showing rot. I pulled a few, they are rotted/ wet on the undersides. I fear that the whole deck is rotted.
I thought that I could use the cedar in this application, but seems that it cannot handle the close proximity to dirt... I could replace boards (at $2 a linear foot)...empty my wallet, good for another 15-20 years.
What ideas do you have? Was cedar the wrong choice, being only inches from dirt? Maybe there is not enough venting (there are skirt boards going around the deck, so only venting is the spacing between boards)....
So, before I order new cedar...any different ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-13, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
You could look into a product like Timbertech, specifically the Floorizon plank that is tongue and groove. Perhaps it would drain more water away. Putting a deck on grade is rarely a good idea, perhaps some work on drainage should have been done first... maybe having a gravel bed under it would have helped drain water away. If price is an issue, you won't like the price of composites, but they are probably your answer. You will probably have to power wash the deck regularly since it will want to get mildew, being as close to the grade as it is.

Old 08-07-13, 04:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Would a concrete or paver patio be an acceptable option? As X said - it's never a good idea to have wood that close to the ground!

Old 08-07-13, 05:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Composite decking also needs air flow under it or it's going to mold up.
Check out the company's websites for install info to check that out.
No 2X's are direct ground contact rated.

Old 08-07-13, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Patio is my thought as well.