Staining new wood boat dock

Old 08-06-13, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining new wood boat dock

Boat dock installed midjune. Contractor said to stain after one month or wood might crack. Should ptw dock be stained with oil based or water based stain and what brand is best? Also is it better to wait till next year to be sure ptw is dry? Contractor said wood might crack if not stained before winter but a propainter said its better to wait a year for wood to dry?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-13, 03:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds to soon to me also. Unless this is kiln dried after treatment wood it's sill going to be wet.
Do it to soon and you'll be fighting mold for the life of the dock.
I live right on the Chesapeake Bay where there's thousands of dock and not one I can think of is stained so I'm sure waiting some more is not going to do much harm.
Some boards are going to crack, curl or cup no matter what you do anyway because the wood is drying out and shrinking while nailed in place. Any that look real bad just change them out.
Personally I would just use a clear wood preserver not a true stain. Stains just going to be one more mantaince issue.

Old 08-07-13, 04:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
I'd talk to the locals as to whether oil or water based is best. Further south, the water based coatings tend to weather better due to the sun. Clear wood sealers are less work initially but have a shorter life span.

How long to wait really depends on the wood! PT wood can dry quick enough to apply a stain in 6 weeks or so ..... or can take up to 6 months. A lot depends on how wet the wood was when installed and how much sun/wind it gets after installation. As noted above, it doesn't hurt to wait a yr or so although the longer you wait, the more prep is needed prior to stain application.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 08-08-13, 02:12 PM
Read the can/bucket of the product of choice.

Two weeks of dry weather, max; How to Choose & Apply Exterior Wood Finishes, Paints, Stains

Right after built; How to Stain Frequently Asked Questions from Olympic® Stains

Sun destroys lignin, some p.t. is waxed; Finishes for Wood Decks - Finishes And Surfaces, Decking, Lumber, Wood, Waterproofing - Professional Deck Builder Magazine

5 days for primer, 4 weeks = decrease in service life w. other product; Cabot Stain Problem Solver Wood Primer | Cabot

Water drop test for absorption; Great Southern Wood - YellaWood® Building Tips - Pressure Treated Lumber

Gary