Stripping a deck with metal spindles

Old 08-10-13, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stripping a deck with metal spindles

Hi, my first post to the forum. A friend of my wife's wants to know if I'd be interested in staining her deck for her. Looks like it may have been originally oil stained but a solid latex was later put on and is now peeling. She wants an oil stain on it again. I know I would need to strip it (or maybe not?). My question is if I use a chemical stripper, will it do damage to the metal spindles on railing? They look like they might be anodized aluminum. Thanks for any advice.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 9878
Size:  51.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-13, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Well, not my area of expertise, but I think the first thing I'd do is powerwash it with a cleaner and see how much of that will come off. Your new finish will probably mostly depend on getting all the latex off. If it all comes off with the powerwasher, great.

If not, they maybe then (and only then) you could look into a stripper... something like Citristrip would probably be the least caustic to the metal. There is always a chance it could affect the metal, so you'd need to neutralize the stripper as needed and then rinse everything thoroughly with another cleaning and powerwashing.

Any stripper you get on the spindles will strip the finish off of them too, so you'd want to think about that if you don't want to end up repainting them all.

Old 08-10-13, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've had several experiences with latex deck stain not sticking, and getting both the stain and stripper completely removed can be a challenge.

For your situation, I'd give serious thought to first trying a careful power-wash as suggested, but then follow that with a (rental) walk-behind sander. No harm to any spindles that way, and doing so will leave the deck planks pristine and ready to stain. If you go that route, make sure to use a compressor to blow all of the dust out of the exposed grain lines. I'd suggest at least 100 PSI at the nozzle, blowing oil-free air. A low-profile hand sander can be used to catch the areas under the railings where the walk-behind won't fit.

Old 08-11-13, 04:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I've never had any issues with a quality latex stain adhering to a weathered properly prepped deck that previously was sealed with an oil base stain..... but we don't know what was used or how it was done

I'd also start out with PWing along with some TSP [add bleach if there is any mildew] I have no doubt that all of the stain can be stripped with a PWer alone but that can damage the wood I would only sand as a last resort!! Nail/screw heads will chew up the sandpaper in short order.

What type of oil stain is being considered? a solid oil stain? semi-transparent?

btw - welcome to the forums!