Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Hanging a porch swing - beadboard ceiling under a dormer - how to reinforce?

Old 08-11-13, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

So for our recent wedding, we received a porch swing (yahoo!) - but when I went to start the pre-planning process for where to hang it, I encountered a situation.

As near as I can tell, the beadboard ceiling of our porch is supported by 2 16 ft 2x4s running the span of the porch, not really giving me a solid place to hang a porch swing.

I took an excursion into the crawlspace to take a few pictures, and hopefully those will provide some perspective. (I've also uploaded the pictures to Photo Album - Imgur - I think they're higher quality there)

My goal would be to figure out how to reinforce the ceiling enough to support a 5 ft porch swing (ideally oriented towards the street), and if that involves taking off the beadboard and starting over, so be it (LOVE projects), so I need a first direction (and if that direction is "call a professional", then that's valid, too.

Thanks for your time!

~Graham

Attached Images       
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-13, 05:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Nice porch! Welcome to the forums, and congratulations! Since you have access to the area, determine where you want your swing in relation to the two joists. I am assuming you want it across the porch, and the two joists don't give enough spread. You can install a 4x4, a little longer than your spread, attaching it to the tops of the two joists with timberlocks. Then cut shorter pieces of 4x4 and stand them up at the points where you want to attach your swing. Attach them to the cross 4x4 with timberlocks driven vertically. Now, you can drill a pilot hole into your vertical 4x4's from below and insert swing lag pivots, securely into the solid wood.

Old 08-11-13, 05:52 PM
Alrighty - my worry was that the joists are only 2x4s - will those be enough to support the weight of the swing? Esp. since in the second picture, the 2x4s are supported by vertical 2x4s coming off the main supports.

Is this image what you are suggesting?

What if I wanted to hang the swing in the other orientation - parallel to the 2x4s?

Attached Images  
Old 08-11-13, 06:38 PM
It is what I had in mind, but did not realize the members were only 2x4's. You are right they will not support the additional weight and movement. They will need to be sistered with 2x10's for that span, and you need to make sure the ends of the joists are sitting on the supports for the side of the porch. Looks like substantial beams from the front to back and should support the 2x10's.

Now, if you want to face forward to the street, additional joisting would be necessary in that area, running the full length, with good support on the ends

Old 08-11-13, 06:41 PM
One problem with hanging it the other way is that's a really small porch and between the swing it's self and the room needed in front and back of it to swing there would be no usable porch left for seating or a small table.

Old 08-11-13, 07:51 PM
Okay, so right now I'm thinking that I'll need to take down a section of the beadboard to get some 2x10s up there.

Next question - if I put the 2x10s across those heavy beams, they're going to be 12-14 inches higher than the beadboard. Should I use the same strategy as chandler originally suggested with 4x4s, timberlocks and vertical 4x4s, even though there will be potentially a 24 inch drop?

Old 08-12-13, 04:08 AM
If you can't get 2x10's up there in 16' lengths, it will take either removing the ceiling (not my first option) or doing your sistering in sections and in multiple layers. The sisters won't sit on top of the joists but run along side them and are bolted to the existing 2x4's. Your total rise will only be 9 1/2".

Name:  beam.jpg
Views: 3583
Size:  8.4 KB

Old 08-12-13, 10:45 AM
My thinking was to run joists from the support beams (red circle), rather than sistering 2x10s to the 2x4s, because they would all still be supported by those vertical 2x4s (blue circle).

Could I reinforce the vertical 2x4s, or is my best bet to run 2x10s onto the support beam in the red circle?

Attached Images  
Old 08-12-13, 06:56 PM
Ideally that is where you want them to rest. You just have to deal with the vertical difference, which isn't rocket science, since you have the rest figured out. I would double them just for grins.

Old 08-17-13, 12:19 PM
So I opened up part of the ceiling - turned out that it was 1x4 cedar T&G, not beadboard. I put up four 7 foot 2x8 joists perpendicular, then 2 4x6 beams across, and a 4x6 post down to hold the weight of the swing hangers. Probably totally over-engineered, but I'm no lightweight, and collapsing a porch swing would be no good (for me or my ceiling).

After that, patched the ceiling (apparently NEW 1x4 T&G is about 3.25 inches, whereas the old stuff is 3.5 inches... required a little creativity in patching), painted and got the swing hung. Looks great, feels totally solid.

Thanks for the help, chandler!

Attached Images     
Old 08-17-13, 12:48 PM
The outside is one chain link too long Just kidding! Excellent job!!

Old 08-17-13, 01:36 PM
No, no, the swing is level! The porch and ceiling aren't level, though. (Much to my dismay... required extra cutting to correct mistakes)

Old 08-17-13, 06:36 PM
"Probably totally over-engineered, but I'm no lightweight, and collapsing a porch swing would be no good (for me or my ceiling)."-------------------- not to worry, that would be using through-bolts in a horizontal beam. The screw load is rated for 25% less because of the end-grain rather than side grain (face). What size, number, and length are the swing bracket fasteners?

Gary

Old 08-17-13, 10:19 PM
Right, the stuff I was reading suggested that end grain hold was only 2/3 the strength of side grain. So, rather than using 1 eyebolt for the swing hangers, I sprung for swing hangers that required 4 bolts. For each hanger, I used 2 of the 3-inch lag screws that they came with (required a 1/4" pilot hole, probably 1.5-2 inches of thread in the 4x6) and 2 leftover 5-inch LedgerLok bolts (rated for 313 lbs each in side grain, so hopefully 200 lbs in end grain).

Old 08-19-13, 09:44 AM
Sounds good! That's why I asked. The TimberLoc has 2" of thread vs. 40% more thread with a lag screw in 5" length, in a vertical pullout, that extra is important. 2/3 less for nails, lag screws are 25% less- pp. 12, 13; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...50952593,d.cGE

Another good one; Connection Calculator That should keep you safe.

Did you see Chandler's swing? Larry, post a picture for him to see!

Gary

Old 08-19-13, 05:52 PM
I know Gary didn't want the "dueling swings" on a deck. Customer wanted "conversation" swings for the older sisters to sit, swing and talk, facing each other.

Name:  dueling swing1.JPG
Views: 3048
Size:  18.4 KB
Name:  dueling swing2.JPG
Views: 4962
Size:  19.0 KB